All Journal Entries Journals

Riba Reduction

Feb 23, 2009 - 2 comments
Tags:

riba reduction



Hb has dropped to 9.7 so have to take riba reduction of 1 pill daily.  Currently taking 1200 daily, so will be down to 1000.  Will check Hb in 7 days, if it comes up above 10 I'll be back on full dose.  Fingers crossed.  Certainly explains while I felt like **** the last 2 weeks, all the classic symptoms of falling Hb....

Bit bummed about this, really wanted to be 100% compliant.  No rescue drugs in NZ.

Comments
Post a Comment
Avatar universal
by geterdone, Feb 23, 2009
epi,

The major virus/virion killing is over so do the reduction but extend the TX 4 more weeks “if you can get” the INF and Riba, if the doctor and insurance will allow. If not, finish the missed riba of the present reduction cuz that’s about all you can do at this point unless the doctor is willing to extend. I reduced from 1200 to 1000 at week 22 through week 45 and still hit SVR, so just keep moving forward, stay positive and let your spirit guide you the rest of the way as it has thus far.

Also, a little cycling at the end of treatment can’t hurt either other than falling hgb which you now know the bottom. I went back up to 1200mg riba in weeks 46, 47 and then tapered off until the end of my taper off the meds completely. Best of Luck to you!

jasper


683664 tn?1330969924
by lapis, Feb 23, 2009
Epi,

I have thought so much of writing in about my situation, which gives me much concern.  But the bottom line for me is, being in a study, I really have no control over my Riba reductions.  Things are done according to protocol, and no rescue drugs are allowed.

In my first 16 weeks of tx, I had my Riba reduced from 1200 to 600 two different times (for Hgb reduction), for a total of 7 weeks.  I think with the first reduction (at 3 weeks) it took another 3 weeks for Hgb to come back above 10, they put me back on 1000, and I pushed to get back to 1200 so they agreed.  Then I really tanked, all the way down to 9.1, and it took 4 weeks to come back to 10.  

Now I was on triple therapy, and have reason to believe I did receive the study drug, at least for the first 8 weeks, so I try to feel some small measure of comfort in believing that.  I'm back at 1000 for the last two weeks, now in Wk 18.  I was told that I will not be taken back to the 1200 mg dose, which would be better for me weight-wise.  

I wish I could decide my dosing, but they count my pills every study visit  : )  So far I've been doing fine with the Peg dose, at least.

I just wanted to share my story, and give you some support.  I know our situations are very different, but your concerns about Riba reduction struck a chord with me.  Hang in there!

Lapis

Post a Comment