Recipes and images courtesy of the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) and Diabetic Living magazine
With the excitement of the Super Bowl comes the usual smorgasbord of snacks loaded with salt, calories and sugar, which can be a minefield for people with diabetes. Here are three healthier versions of your game day favorites along with tips to will help you enjoy the party without sacrificing your blood sugar levels. Happy eating!
Serving size: 1 2/3 Cups, servings per recipe: 8
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 15-ounce cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 pound uncooked ground turkey breast
5 14½-ounce cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers (optional)
½ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1. In an airtight storage container or resealable plastic bag, combine celery, carrots, onion, garlic, chili powder, oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover or seal and chill for up to 24 hours. Place beans in a separate airtight storage container or resealable plastic bag. Cover or seal and chill for up to 24 hours.
2. In a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven, combine vegetable mixture and turkey. Cook until turkey is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally to break up turkey. Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, and, if desired, chile peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. If desired, sprinkle individual servings with cheese.
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: Calories: 232, Total Fat: 3 g (1 g sat. fat), Cholesterol: 23 mg, Sodium: 502 mg, Carbohydrates: 34 g, Fiber: 12 g, Protein: 23 g.
Serving size: 1 tablespoon, servings per recipe: 36
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
½ cup plain low-fat or fat-free yogurt
½ cup light mayonnaise dressing or salad dressing
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
1 cup loosely packed fresh spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
¾ cup bottled roasted red sweet peppers, drained and chopped
¼ cup thinly sliced green onions
3 red and/or yellow sweet peppers, seeded and cut into strips, or desired dippers
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, stir together mozzarella cheese, yogurt, mayonnaise dressing, 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese, the flour, and the Dijon mustard.
2. Stir in the spinach, roasted red peppers, and 2 tablespoons of the green onions. Spread the cheese vegetable mixture evenly into a 1-quart ovenproof shallow dish or a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese.
3. Bake the dip, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are bubbly and the mixture is heated through. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons green onions. Serve with red and/or yellow sweet pepper strips. Makes 2 ¼ cups.
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: Calories: 21, Total Fat: 2 g (0 g sat. fat), Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 47 mg, Carbohydrates: 1 g, Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 1 g.
Serving size: 3 Tenders, Servings per recipe: 4
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1 ¼ pounds total)
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
½ cup seasoned fine dry bread crumbs
¼ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup low-calorie barbecue sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Cut each chicken breast half lengthwise into three strips.
2. In a bowl, beat together egg whites, 1 tablespoon water, and lemon peel. In another bowl, stir together bread crumbs and cheese. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture, turning to coat. Arrange strips on baking sheet. Lightly coat strips with cooking spray.
3. Bake 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170°F), turning once halfway through baking.
If desired, serve with barbecue sauce.
NUTRITION FACTS PER SERVING: Calories: 207, Total Fat: 3 g (1 g sat. fat), Cholesterol: 70 mg, Sodium: 534 mg, Carbohydrates: 11 g, Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 32 g.
Continued on next page >