Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

wanna put this nightmare to rest

first off i would like to say forums like this are very reassuring for people. I was scared for the last 3 months about me and my wife HIV and to scared to get tested i lost 30 pounds. Well after sevral of barely getting sleep cause of my fear i decided to get tested. I went to planned parenthood and got a negative. I was still not 100% convinced that we both didnt have it i had her get tested even though she didnt believe it. She also got a negative. We used the oraquick oral rapid HIV tests.  I fell really relieved but im not 100% convinced. My question is how realible this specific test, and if i should maybe get tested one more time just to make sure. Btw me and my wifes last exposure besides possibly from each other would have been a bit over a year and a half ago
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Worried 23: I had an exposure with a much higher risk than yours; African sex worker, (unprotected vaginal while at a brothel in Germany).

I have tested at four / seven and nine weeks, plus STD testing all negative. I have a final test scheduled at 12 weeks but only to ease my anxiety.

Now lets look at some FACTS:

From reading these forums and speaking to several doctors I know that the chances of a final test coming back postive is more than remote, does it stop me worrying = NO.

The doctor will tell you he has never seen anyone test positive after a four week negative, let alone eight, (as did my doctor working in a regional STD centre in London UK where they test pretty much every nationality and sexual background of people).

Remember scientific research proves that the VAST majority of people test positive before six weeks with the average being 22 days and that is without even taking into account how much HIV testing has improved in recent years.

With an 8 week negative you can be more than 99% certain that you are in the clear.

I am sure the Dr. will agree with all my comments if he re-opens this thread...
Helpful - 1
have you ever heard of someonet testing positive after a negative result at 8 weeks?
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Modern testing methods are 100% accurate, as long as at least a few weeks have passed since the last possible exposure to HIV.  This applies equally to all routine antibody tests, including the Oraquick oral test.  You and your wife are not infected, period.

Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.