Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

False positive? Scared... Please help!

Hello Dr.  

I post a question on Sept. 20 for risk assessment regarding a unprotected oral and protected vaginal sex I had with a sex worker.  

Now I the situation is getting complex:

Since my wife is pregnant, I took her for a HIV test just to be on the safe side.  All we have after my sex incident are KISSING and no oral or vaginal intercourse at all.

I got my 43 days MEIA test result NEGATIVE.

The scary thing was her test came back INCONCLUSIVE.  So please help me understand what's going on here.  

Test                               Result
HIV 1/2 Screen MEIA                Reactive
HIV 1/2 Supplemnetal EIA           Non Reactive
HIV 1 Western Blot                 Non Reactive
HIV 1 P24 Antigen Screen           Non Reactive

Her Dr. said she will not worry about this result as false negative happens on pregnant women.  BTW, my wife is Hepatities B virus carrier.  But we have not heard anything like this for the HIV routine test 7 months ago when she first found pregnant.

I was scared and then drive to another city and took the sex worker had sex with me to a clinic for a HIV test.  The rapid test came out NEGATIVE.  It was almost 9 weeks after the exposure.

So I guess the question I have are:

1.  Have you seen false positive like this before?  

2.  Is it true that pregnancy could cause false positive MEIA test?

3.  It seems the western blot is only for HIV 1 but not for
HIV 2.  Is it possible she got a HIV-2 which is not detectable by the WB?

4.  Do you think we should worry about this result?  

Thanks and best regards.

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well, I went to get tested last Weds; the 8th week mark. They performed the Oraquick Oral swab and the blood ***** finger one. They were both negative!

You guys have no idea how this felt after getting that "positive".

They oferred to do a Western B. and they said that if the enrolled me on some kind of research it would be free. Two people were there while I was testing and one of them thought it was a good idea to make sure completely that I didn't have HIV since they would do the whole thing, viral load test, etc.

The other one said that based on the results so far, she was not sure if I needed to do this.

They gave me some paperwork and told me to think about it. They actually gave me some kind of "contract" if I decide to be part of the research.

One also said that if I came back HIV negative, I wouldn't be part of it. So, it is a way to get a Western B. free! She basically said that.

I want to take a couple of days to think about it. In the meantime, I just want to enjoy myself a little since this gives me a piece of mind at the moment.

I still think I should get tested again at the 13 week mark just to be 100% sure and maybe I will take advantage of that "free" Western B.

What do you guys think?

I know I am not "home free" yet, but I think I am almost there.

Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
No.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0
Another question is:

Is it possible that she was in the serocoversion stage that the WB could not detect the antibody?
Helpful - 0
Thanks Dr.

Can anyone have the same experice share some info here?

Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Despite her initially indeterminant result, your wife's tests show she does not have HIV. Your test showed the same, so you could not have infected her.  Your wife's doctor is right.  Follow his/her advice.

HHH, MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.