Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hiv risk with herpes from oral sex.

I have recently been on and off with a girlfriend for the past 2 years.  Back in Sept 06. had a brief oral experience with a different female while me and my girlfriend were taking one of our usual breaks.  She performed unprotected fellatio on me for about 10 mins with no ejaculation.  I did not notice any blood in her mouth nor a cuts or sores on me. No vaginal or anal sex performed and did not go down on her. About 1 week later I happened to develope a bump on the underside of my penis.  The next week went in to have it looked at and it was diagnosed as hpv.  At the same time, had been tested for all other stds.  All (clap, gon, syp, hsv 1, hep b) came up neg.  My hsv 2 came up positive.  The doctor said that the hsv2 had been in my system for at least 30 days.  So I am assuming that I did not recieve hsv2 from my brief encounter.  
Shortly after this little experience, my girlfriend and I have gotten back together.  We have quite initimate (oral, vaginal sex, but never anal sex).  All experiences have been unprotected, she happens to be allergic to condoms.   Back in march she went in to get tested for all stds.  Of course the hsv2 came back positive but all other stds (including hiv) were negative.  I am not too sure about the hpv.  
My question(s) is  1.  Is it possible that I acquired Hpv from my oral experience. Am I safe to assume that I did not recieve hsv2 either from that experience.  Am I safe to say that if I had both of these prior to the meeting, I could not have transfer to the girl either being that both of these std only like certain parts of the body.  Being that I have both of these stds, was my experience considered to be high risk?  I did recieve an hiv- result after 2 weeks, would you recommend testing again?   I realize that acquiring hiv from fellatio is considered to be low risk.  I know that herpes doubles chance of acquiring hiv.    
2.  Is there a cause for relief that I have been with my girlfriend for 6 months since the incident unprotected and that she has been tested as negative for hiv.

5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
HPV of the mouth is uncommon and oral sex is a rare mode of transmission.  You are unlikely to have acquired your genital warts from the oral sex event last September.  You got it somewhere else.

You probably didn't get HSV-2 during the oral event; genital HSV-2 is rarely if ever acquired by oral sex, only genital or anal intercourse.  It is impossible to know from the blood test when you acquired it (but I agree it was more than a month before your test).  You definitely can transmit HSV-2 to your partners through unprotected vaginal or anal sex, regardless of whether or not you ever have herpes symptoms.  Your girlfriend is at risk and you need to tell her that and take steps to help protect her.

HIV is almost never acquired by receiving fellatio.  There have been few if any proved cases in the entire quarter century of the international HSV/AIDS epidemic.  That near-zero risk is not increased by having HSV-2, unless you happen to have an oral HSV-2 infection, which is rare.

The fact that your girlfriend is HIV negative does not mean you are not infected.  Even in regular, long-term couples in which one partner has HIV, typically it takes several years before transmission occurs (and often it never does).  You seem not to be at risk, but if you want reassurance, you need to be tested; you cannot rely on your partner's result.

Good luck--  HHH, MD
Helpful - 1
I'm interested in this string because 7 weeks ago I had protected vaginal and (brief) anal with a sex worker in Hong Kong.  I used a condom but had a herpes sore above the base of my penis in the pubic hair area.  I've had no symptoms other than fatigue and now possible UTI.  
Thanks for your thoughts.  
This is the one and only exposure
Helpful - 0
I think I know what you are saying but can herpes be transmitted from one to another even if there are no spots or sores?
and doctor you state that HIV is more of a risk if a person as herpes, how would the virus get into the bloodstream?
Helpful - 0
Herpes increase your chance of catching hiv if you have an open sore. Oral sex carries low risk of infection, you should stop worrying about the girl who sucked u off but rather the girl u been with on and off since all the sex with her were unprotected. And you probly caught herpes from your gf and not too alarmn you, she might not tell you where she have beeen during those off time. And you can not rely on someone else hiv test to have a conclusive status for urself.
Helpful - 0
239123 tn?1267647614
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
scareshitless is wrong about herpes sores and HIV transmission.  Just having a positive HSV-2 blood test elevates the risk of catching HIV, regardless of whether or not s/he has symptoms of herpes.

But still oral sex isn't a risk, with or without HSV-2 infection.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the HIV - Prevention Forum

Popular Resources
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?
Can you get HIV from casual contact, like hugging?
Frequency of HIV testing depends on your risk.
Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) may help prevent HIV infection.