Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

BPD

I think my husband may suffer from BPD. His moods are either happy or angery, there is no inbetween. He is hypersenstive to the way I treat him. He says that I don't consider his feelings, I do listen to what he has to say. If he says something one time he better not EVER have to repeat himself. He often thinks that he has made me aware of something, when in reality he never even told me about it, and he thinks I'm just forgetful. He also judges people by one event or one negative encounter and then makes his mind up for life that that person based on one encounter is a bad person and will distance himself from them at all costs. He has done this with my whole side of the family. None of them are worth speaking to. They have all done something to disrespect or in someway put him down. I have knowen him for 8 years. He used to be the most carring loving individual I had ever knowen. Until I became pregnant with our first and only child. He then slipped into a deep depression and we almost seperated when I was 4 months pregnant. We managed to save the marriage but things have never been the same. He is now home 1 night out of 7. He is hanging out with friends, and I do trust that, that is what he is doing. But I can't help to think that he is trying to distance himself from the baby (13months) and myself...HELP PLEASE.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have BPD. I thought it was primarily in women.
Helpful - 0
Ashley,

I apologise for the delay in replying to your question. Response to our forum has been great and we have to research some questions. It is unfortunate that you are having problems in your marriage. It is impossible for me to give your husband a diagnosis without evaluating him. However, your reports of his long-standing patterns of instability of mood, interpersonal relationships, and self-image are suggestive of borderline personality disorder (BPD). Dealing with people who have BPD is not easy. You also mention that he has suffered from depression in the past, which is not uncommon in people with BPD. Often in a marriage, couples develop a pattern of interaction that is difficult to change, even when it is abusive and unrewarding. An assessment by a trained marital counsellor may help both you and your husband.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Depression/Mental Health Forum

Popular Resources
15 signs that it’s more than just the blues
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Simple, drug-free tips to banish the blues.
A guide to 10 common phobias.
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
For many, mental health care is prohibitively expensive. Dr. Rebecca Resnik provides a guide on how to find free or reduced-fee treatment in your area