Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lexapro, horrible attacks 2 months later, only took 1 pill.

AJC
I have intermittent intense attacks approximately once a week that leave me non-functional for a few days after the attack. I took 1 10mg. Lexapro pill as a sleep aid 2 months ago and have been unable to work since. Does anyone know what this drug has done to my brain? It seems to make sense that an SSRI could have messed up most system activity based on what I have read about serotonin and how many brain and body functions it plays a part in. I have a neurologist appointment in 2 weeks, are there specific tests I should request? Could this type of brain damage be healed, repaired, or will my condition deteriorate? I have done immense research to no avail. I sometimes experience fear, nervous waves of energy throughout my body, Extreme sensitivity to everything, ringing in my ears but what I am most concerned with is when I have an attack that makes my body hurt all over and I seriously feel as if I might not be released from this horrible state. What could be damaged in the brain that would cause these symptoms to remain and still be so intense? Any ideas would be very helpful. Thank you.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
AJC
This is just a follow up.
I will summarize.
It has been 3 months and I am still not completely better. Although, I have made substantial progress. I am making progress slowly and I can only judge at a monthly rate. The first month was a nightmare, the second month was horrible and the third month was not as horrible as the second month. I have been managing this condition (which is somewhat rare) with xanax, less stress, more sleep, better food and very minimal, but essential exercise. I have had a lot of support from family and friends. Every day, I think, "I just have to make it through this day" I don't know if I will make a full recovery but it seems that my brain is re-organizing itself somehow. That makes me very hopeful. I also went to a neurologist and he was honest enough to tell me he didn't know what happened but it is similar to someone who has a severe allergic reaction to something when others do not. Due to my physiology. If anyone has something similar to this happen to them, please write a post here. If you are at an early stage, I may be able to provide information or assistance.
Tony
Helpful - 0
Never heard of an SSRI doing that to someone.  Sounds like you have further problems, like panic attacks.  Try Xanax.  Also, request an Brain MRI just to rule out other things.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease