Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

another bulbar als question

Hello,I know youve probably seen similar questions in this forum but here goes.about 6 weeks ago I had a couple of strange episodes while chugging water where it felt as though the timing in my throat was off and i choked.In a panic,I went to the internet and read about bulbar als.Now,totally frightened i went to my primary physician who told me that what i described and the way i described it was an esophageal spasm.I mentioned my als fear to him so he proceeded to examine my throat,palate, tongue strength.gag reflex and all of the other  limb refelexes as well as hand and arm strength.He told me that everything was perfectly normal and that a neurologist exam would not be necessary.He prescribed for me clonazapam as needed,feeling that I was worried over nothing and explaining to me that if it was als he would have detected something abnormal.since then my swallowing has been normal but i have noticed some slight speech difficulties at times,and that my facial ,tongue,and jaw muscles are sometimes tense,in fact sometimes my whole body is tense,and shaky.these symptoms seem to come and go.I am still convinced of having bulbar als.My question is should I accept his diagnoses of anxiety and work on getting that under control or should i aggressively pursue a neurological exam.any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm not a physician but a nurse with a special interest and studies in ALS.  If you're concerned, by all means followup with a neurologist.  He may put your mind at ease.  If it has been a while since this started, and the clonazepam seems to be helping, this is a good thing.  I wish you the best!  IF it were ALS, bulbar, the sooner it is diagnosed, the better for you.  The research they have been doing is wonderful, and there will be a cure!Take care!
Helpful - 0
How are you today, it's been three weeks?

Are things different...How about your Tongue, how does it look and how is your speech?

thx,

Helpful - 0
If it makes you feel any better, I had this happen to me where my throat would do this forceful, involuntary swallowing. Sometimes it hurt, but never progressed into anything. I also had twitching all over my body. If you are going to obsess and worry about it, then maybe you should see a neurologist. Otherwise, you could take the tranquilizer for the anxiety and just wait and see if it continues or any new symptoms develop. The normal exam by your GP is a very good sign though. People with ALS usually have clinical weakness.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1669040108
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease