Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovarian Cancer in young women

My partner is 32 and has recently being diagnosed with Stage 1a Ovarian Cancer (Epithelial I believe but I could be wrong). She has one ovary removed and pathology found some cells in this ovary. She has now been prescribed 6 x 1 day rounds of Chemotherapy using Carbonplatin and Taxol. (Has completed one session) She looks healthy after one treatment and nausea etc only last a day or two after treatment. My question is that I see a lot of information on survival rates and reoccurrences rates after remission for older women but what is it for younger women ? Is there better chances of recovery, survival for younger women in addition to a smaller chance of reoccurrence ? Any weblinks, stories or words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks. :o)
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your partner is really lucky to have you supporting and encouraging her. Keep it up! Someone in her situation does really needs lots of care and understanding from loved ones. It is only a matter of time when she will get well and I believe she will recover pretty soon since she has good discipline on her diet and lifestyle. I was never as good as her when it came to diet but I tried my best and until now, I am conscious on the food intake. Very soon, the ordeal will be all over and she will lead a normal life like us. Any more questions, pls do not hesitate to ask. You take care too.
Helpful - 0
I didn't expect anyone else to experience exactly the same illness that I've had 5 years ago because it seemed rare.

fiftydollarshoes - I hope my following comments will make your partner feel better. I was diagnosed with serous papillary cystadenocarcinoma ovarian cancer stage 1a after I had my left ovary removed and taken for biopsy at the age of 24. I only encountered symptoms of back pain, frequent bladder and bowel movement and night fever just 2 weeks before the surgery. It was quite bizzare as the cyst was then 10cm in size. I did a ca125 test before the surgery and the result turned out to be above average reading and that drove me to seek professional advise. Although, ca125 rarely could indicate any early diagnosis of ovarian cancer but I was lucky that it was detected at an early stage. I went through a CT scan post-op to ensure that my other organs were not affected and since it was only confined to the ovary that has been removed, I did not have to undergo chemo. Ever since then, I've always visited my gynae twice a year for ultrasound, vagina scan and ca 125.

Like Pam, I'm a survivor and appreciate my husband (he gave me lots of support) and life to the fullest. She has to take care of her health from now onwards. Try not to be exposed to second hand smoke. In addition, diet would also help to make things better. She should refrain from all food that contains MSG, high in protein, preservatives, colourings, fats, barbequed food. Take more green vege and fruits and consume meat in moderate level. Exercise eg. deep breathing,yoga and lots of fresh air is essential as lack of oxygen in the organ will stimulate growth of cysts. I know it's not easy but if I can do it, I believe she can too. Take good care of her and yourself too.

Pam, take care too.
Helpful - 0
Thank-you for your responses; She is a natural worrier and when they gave her the Ovarian Cancer pamphlets at the hospital she freaked out ! These pamphlets weren
Helpful - 0
My sister is an RN and said that the statistics are not really what they may seem sometimes. She said that because most ovarian cancer is found in older women, the survival rate decreases. Older patients tend not to come out of surgery and/or recover as well as younger ones. The fact that they found it so fast and that she is young is WONDERFUL!
Helpful - 0
I forgot to mention that it's been 5 years since my surgery and I'm leading a normal life. I've shun away from shyness to reveal my previous illness to others as I believe it is helpful to be able to share with the people who needs the info. Take care folks and let's continue to give each other moral support and encouragement in life!
Helpful - 0
Luvthybeagle
Helpful - 0
Hi, I just want to let you know that not only am I posting on this site because of concerns of mine but 4 years ago my mother at age 71 had epithelial borderline ovarian cancer. This was found in her in surgery she was going to have for a bladder suspension. Long story short, they did a complete hysterectomy and she had no further treatment and is fine! It sounds like your partner has good doctors and is getting appropriate treatment. Good luck and keep us posted!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.