Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

went for pre-op appt today,the tests were kinda...weird

hi all...i hope everyone is well and pain free this evening..i went for my pre-op testings today...the nurse doing it looked at the paper work 2 times,then called my doc..she said the only tests he order were a hemocrit,and hemoglobin,and that this is very usual....does anyone have any clue why he may have only ordered these 2 tests for???thanks...sonie
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
HCT and HGB are tupically done prior to any invasive surgery to establish a base line and measure amount of red blood cells, the oxygen carrying components.  Any low number may indicate a need for blood during surgery.  A low number does NOT mean that you will absolutely need a transfusion, but these tests are repeated after surgery as well to make sure that these numbers come up.  A steady decrease may signify internal bleeding.  Hope this helps answer your question.  Good Luck.
Helpful - 0
sorry..ive also had a us recently..had the cbc with diff...a ca-125 and some other about 3 weeks ago....
Helpful - 0
i had a cbc done about 3 weeks ago,so i figured he wouldnt do another one..i just wondered why the hemoglobin,and hemocrit....but she called him,nd he said thats what he needed,that he had all the other stuff from the tests he ran previously.....sonie
Helpful - 0
not usual at all. usally they would order a comp metabolic panel cbc with diff, pt and ptt and us along with chest x-ray and ekg. i most cerianly look into this. I go to the family dr. tom for my pre-op and those are all the tests that he ordered maybe even a few others. please investigate further into this matter. toni
Helpful - 0
hey mary....9 days to go...next thursday..i feel the anxiety building up...thought i was going to hyper ventalate jut going in for my tests...just thinking that in a week,thats where imma be sitting waiting for surgery...maybe im just so silly...i know i should be this worried,but when i had the triplets 3 yars ago tomorrow,i hemoraged,and they honestly thought i was going to pass away..they had a preacher come in and pray for me and such..i ended up with 3 blood transfusions..so im nervous about that too i guess...im sure ill be fine..the unknowing is killing me......sonie
Helpful - 0
my mind is so not with me tonight,at all!!!CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!!i am sooooooooooo proud of you for stop smoking....i wish i could quit,i just know i dont have the will power..im a weakling..lol...i am very proud of you.....congrats to you!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
im sorry...not USUAL.....VERY UNUSUAL...
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.