Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

after 7 mos of wait

I have had many hemorrhagic cysts rupture in the past year.
5 U/S scans, 1 MRI and 1 CT scan have all bilateral masses each and every time. Possibly new ones, I am not sure. I tried the Luperon injections and had to discontinue due to bad side effects. Now my GYN gives me the option of surgery to remove ovaries, cysts and probable endometrial tissue. My CA-125 was 27, which she called normal, my FSH is at 18, still perimenopausal at 50 yrs old. I had a partial hysterectomy 10 yrs ago due to constant fibroids, endometriosis and cervial dysplasia.
At this point I am opting for the surgery, which she calls elective due to so many 'unknowns'. I have 1 sister with breast cancer, 1 with melanoma and brother with prostate issues. My grandmother died from cervical cancer. She does not consider my hystory and family to be of any concern. Am I just paranoid here or what? I am beginning to think maybe I do not need surgery but then again this is not waht I call living either.
Can someone perhaps, help me to feel justified in my decision to have surgery? Dr. tells me there is of course no guarantee that I will be pain free after. I just cannot think clearly anymore!
I sincerely would appreciate any input.   God bless --
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am having my ovaries and tubes removed, lets do it together.
Helpful - 0
Well, I can honestly state that if I had known in late 2004 what I know today, then I would have requested the doctor remove both ovaries, not just the one.  Darn.  Yeah, that thing about hindsight being 20/20....
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.