Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Surgery Friday....need some answers

Hello it is me again sorry to add another post. But this is my need of info. First i was told that i would have laproscopic (and that i would go home same day) and just have the cyst removed then a day later told that would also maybe have to have right ovary removed. Well now today the surgery center called and told me that i had to stay the night for sure one night maybe more depending. But now also that for sure the ovary and also now the falopian tube(sorry if i did not spell that right). Do you think more has been found by my gyn then what he origianlly got from the radiologist? Oh and was also informed that another gyn will be in assisting for this also. I am really freaked out now. I go tomorrow after noon for my preop but dont know if i can wait that long or will just go nuts until then. Sorry that i keep rattling on and on.
Ok i hope i explained myself. If i do not make sense please forgive me as i am totally confused myself at this point.
thank you for your time.
mok
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just stopping in to say that I will send  prayer your way.
Helpful - 0
Keep your head up and be strong... My preop is this afternoon as well...surgery Friday at 6pm...I'm 27 not married no kids Great family, friends and boyfriend dr found 11cm teratoma on right ovary...he will try to save ovary if possible. All of this has happend within three weeks...I'm very positive and have a strong faith...everything happends for a reason and it's better to find out now and be able to do something about it before it's too late.Remember to write a list of questions and try to take someone with you...Keep me posted. Smiles and hugs!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Good luck tomorrow, my thoughts and prayers are with you!! :-)
Tascha
Helpful - 0
I'm new to finding this site and since finding it have been glued to it.  I have only posted on here one time since the doctor has found another cyst that's seems a little different then in the past for me and I'm freaking out about it because it's different and I don't know what to expect.  But I thought maybe I could add my 2 cents to hopefully help you feel better.  I've had 2 laproscopy's and 1 laprotomy.  (I still don't know how to spell these:-)  ) I may not remember things just right but I remember having to go over many papers during the preop that made things seem a lot more serious then what my doc told me.   I had to sign some release papers that were hard to sign for all the things that could happen, so they were papers just to give release in case something didn't go as planned which was to maybe need to remove an ovary.  I know it's scary stuff and the waiting is horrid. I've had 3 dermoid cysts that have been removed and this time have a septated complex cyst (which the doc says doesn't seem to be a dermoid). But in hopes to make you feel a little better both of my laproscopy surgeries went very easy.  Even with one of the surgeries the contents of the cyst was spilled within me somehow but still things went fine and within hours of the surgery I was released and truly didn't feel too bad.  I've given birth to a little girl since all of this without any complications of getting pregnant.  The worst part for me was the pressure in my chest that was caused from the gas they used to inflate my tummy.  I was also very sleepy for the rest of the day.  Even with the lapraotomy I had I was told to expect to stay in the hospital 3-5 days.  The next day I was released.  I was sore and very cautious with the way I moved but truly was never in a lot of pain.  It was more of  just being nervous to move too much because I was scared I would do something to make the stitches come out.  I know I worried myself to no end with freight (and I am again) but truly everything with the surgeries was much easier then I expected.  For me I think the worst part of all of this is the waiting and worries rather then the actual surgery.   I know every surgery is different and things do happen but I just wanted to tell you my experience in hopes to help you find something to ease your mind.  I hope I helped. :-)

Helpful - 0
I would be more surprised and more concerned about your health and well-being if the doctor had NOT requested this process.  It is most likely that the doctor originally believed the ovary could be saved.  Further imaging, or further study of existing imaging, has likely changed the doctor's mind.  Also, it may very well be that the doctor can leave the ovary intact; however, agreement must be made prior to the surgery as to what extent the doctor can work in order to restore your health.

As for the overnight stay... in my opinion - shame on whomever told you that you could be released that day!  I believe that one night at the hospital should be mandatory for this type of surgery.  The blood vessel serving the ovary branches directly off the large, main blood vessel that runs down through the abdomen and into the legs.  It has a high pressure on it from the beating of the heart.  The blood vessel connected to the ovary must be stitched and/or stapled, then cut during the surgery if the ovary is removed.  Staying overnight allows the hospital staff to monitor  your blood pressure; should you spring a leak in that cut blood vessel then your blood pressure will drop, and the staff  can quickly take to the OR and the leak can be stopped.
Helpful - 0
hi there...i just wanted to tell you good luck with your surgery,and ill say a prayer for you....((((hugs)))sonie
Helpful - 0
Mok
It sounds like your dr. is just being cautious.  I'm sure it would make me nervous too.  It's better to have two dr.'s than to have one that doesn't know what the heck they're doing! I know someone posted that they had a general surgeon, not a gyn do their surgery and they were  not happy with the results.

I know my dr. stated one thing while the surgery center stated another. The dr. said to go by what the surgery center said.  

I'm certain the dr. will go more into detail as to what's going on and what to expect tomorrow.  Till then, "try" not to worry too much - watch a funny movie - something to keep your mind off of it.

Good luck

Becca
Helpful - 0
It sounds like your doctor is covering his basis.  I wish you well and please let us know how it turns out.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.