Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Paging DebR!!

Hi Deb!  I was told that you may be able to help me (by Raven).  I have Hashimoto's disease with a large hard nodule (visible with the naked eye) and an enlarged lymph node...they are doing a fine needle aspiration tomorrow morning (both the nodule and the node are getting poked at) and I'm a wreck.  I was wondering if it hurts, if so how much...and anything else you could tell me.  Be brutally honest...I like to know everything.  
Ladies, I'm sorry this is so off topic...I apologize!
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
When I read the words "CANCER FREE" I teared up...it just hit somewhere in my heart that brought me to tears.  I am so happy for you!
I found my lump a year ago...finally went to the doctor in June, they did a blood test that confirmed my thyroid was a mess, put me on meds, sent me for an ultrasound.  My original doc went on maternity leave and the new doc was the one who saw my lymph node was enlarged (through a second ultrasound) and the thyroid had grown a lot (not just the nodule but the whole thyroid).  I hope he poked around enough in there with this test to get what he needs to know.  I am just clinging to a couple of stats here, one is only 5% of nodules are cancerous...the other is often when you have thyroid cancer you have a normally functioning thyroid (which I don't)...so that's helping me decrease my worry.  I'll cling to anything!  Waiting...grrr it's the worst! Glad to know you're ok now and that it's something that is able to be dealt with.  I will post when I get my results for sure!  Thanks Deb
Tia~~~
Helpful - 0
NO I don't regret telling you to ask!!!   Yes I did survive thyroid cancer - just about everyone does when it is caught so that is the first good news for you to know.  Here is the second....I had two lumps. (well actually four but two that I knew about.  The very hard one was NOT cancer.  The one that they were not as concerned about was!   I had NO thyroid problems prior to this - the doc just found the lump in my neck when I went in for a cold and sore throat.    If it comes  back negative my strongest advice is to have it rechecked in six months - I mean re biopsied.  Mine was negative the first time (so they say) and they did not tell me to follow it.  Two years later my gp insisted the endo recheck it and it was found to be cancer and had by this time gone into lymph nodes.  Which just meant more surgery and treatment.  Does not really change the prognosis.   Thyroid cancer is very responsive to treatment.  

I had my thyroid removed and then went on synthroid.  I had a heck of a time getting my level regulated but you already know what that is like with your thyroid problems.   Your doc is right in saying it is his job to look for the worst case.  Quite honestly - any doc who doesnt is not really doing their job.  But that doesn't mean you need to worry about the worst case.  However, having said that, if it does end up being cancer - be reassured it is a very treatable cancer.  I just got my scan and blood work back and after three years I am finally CANCER FREE!!  It took longer to get there because of the mistakes made in my early treatment but the new doctor I changed to kept reasuring me we would get there and now we are.  Only to have to worry about the darn ovary!!!  

Let me know what the test results come back as and honestly - try not to worry about it.  It is a very manageable situation.
Helpful - 0
I can't tell you how much it does help to have you and the other wonderful, kind women from this forum to turn to.  Who would think that a bunch of strangers could lend so much comfort and laughter?  I have a great family...the problem is I don't want to worry them, so I try and wait till I KNOW for sure before I share news (especially my parents who are in their seventies). Tia~~~~
Helpful - 0
It's funny you ask about the results because I was so focused on the test that I hadn't really thought about the results of the test...that is until one second after the test was over.  Then WHAM!  New focus of worry!  He was telling me that the reason he wanted to biopsy it was that the nodule was so hard and those are the more worrisome nodules...he also said that it's his job to think about the worst and it was my job to let him do the worrying.  They didn't do a biopsy on the lymph node, I thought they were going to because he had said it was enlarged (which could be due to the Hashi's?).  It is my understanding that you survived thyroid cancer? Did you have hypothyroid symptoms?  Were you on any medication to treat your thyroid?  How did they find this cancer?  What did the cancer treatment involve?  Are you ok now?  Do you regret telling me I could ask questions yet?  =) Thanks for getting back to me...I had pictured the worst so it ended up not being nearly as bad.  Not something I would want to do daily...but not worth all the time and thought and worry I gave it either.  It's just been a rough patch here for me...diagnosed with Hashi's last year, found complex cyst and was told I needed hysterectomy (btw this might have resolved so this is quickly turning into good news!) on the same day that I was told that they need to do a biopsy on my thyroid to rule out cancer (for you suspicious types...I was told these things on Friday the 13th (Jan) lol good thing I'm not suspicious)...then both appt's not scheduled for WEEKS...it's just so hard not to worry.  You hear cancer...you read things online...your mind is bound to go places it shouldn't.  I try so hard not to think like that.
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry I did not see this before your test.  The fine needle biopsy can be kind of painful so I am glad yours was not too bad.  Are you worried about the results?  I think it will probably take a week or so to get them.  I am happy to answer any questions you have.  
DebR
Helpful - 0
Ok...it's all over and it didn't hurt much at all!!  They numbed it up (slight burn lasted maybe 2 seconds)...then a weird sort of pressure feeling.  I had six needles in the nodule.  They were wonderful and now I just have to wait until Tuesday to get the results.  Thank you guys so much for listening and helping me.  I'm off to take some Tylenol and go veg out!  Hugs to you all!  =)
Helpful - 0
Thanks for responding...I do have questions!  =)
How come they removed it?  Did the results come back questionable?  Was it affecting you (like swallowing difficulties or choking you).  How was the recovery from that?  He mentioned possibly removing my thyroid...but I'm having no symptoms of choking or anything, so assuming it comes back negative I would prefer not to have it taken out.  I can NOT wait to have this test over with...I've known about it for a month and I'm so over worrying about it.  Hugs right back at ya!!
Helpful - 0
No need to apologize!  Everything is a learning experience here.  I know nothing about this -- I hope it doesn't hurt ya!  Let us know how you did!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.