Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Children after ovarian cysts??

I have read a lot of posts here about people with very complicated medical issues. It makes me feel lucky to "only" have an ovarian cyst.

My question is how many people here have had complicated cysts removed and gone on to have children? My biggest concern with the cyst is that it will harm my ovary and impair my chances of having children. It would be great to hear some success stories from others who have gone through a similar situation.

Thanks!
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
Genevieve, the nurse at my gyn's office had the same procedure done as a young girl.  She had one ovary and most of her other one removed.  She went on to have 4 kids!  Your other ovary will pick up the slack and will produce just fine!  Take care and Godspeed.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
I had a friend who had a cyst the size of a grapfruit removed from an ovary.  She got pregnant within three months of the surgery and so far, her pregnancy is going well.
Helpful - 0
I just wanted to boost your thoughts of children even higher. My cousin had an ovary removed at 15, she now has 4 children. So be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEE HEE HEE
Carrie
Helpful - 0
Oooh an organ recital, I love it!  I had a grapefruit sized ovarian cyst removed (no pain that I recall, just irregular periods) when I was 16, and some of remaining ovary removed as well.  I don't know what type of cyst, they didn't tell me squat. I am guessing it was complex. I stayed on the pill until I wanted to get pregnant at 23. I went off the pill and about 8 months later conceived.  I have three kids.
You might think I am a nutbar, but I have something to add.  I am less than calm to begin with and when I was trying to get pregnant, I went to a hypnotist/naturopath type fellow who helped me a lot...thoughts such as "Let it go, relax, I will get pregnant no problem" stuff like that.  I read somwhere when you are freaking out about trying to get pregnant you can even cause your tubes to spasm.  I tried to get rid of stress and I cut out sugar, booze, coffee, junk food, etc. I stopped smoking and I walked a lot.  I sure should have kept up that regime!
LOTS of people have babies with one ovary.  My one has worked fine for me all these years. I am now 48, no menopause symptoms but having surgery Friday...because of fibroids and complex cysts (darn).  But I did have my kids...  Try not drink too much of that great French coffee, I have been drinking gallons of coffee the last few years and I kinda wonder....I've had a lot of stress too...
Love and very best wishes from Katie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.