Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ca125 SOMETHING TO KEEP IN MIND

Good morning all! I just want to reiterate to the newbies that we must put the ca125 into perspective. The ca125 is an UNRELIABLE test in PRE-MENOPAUSAL women. Please don't let those numbers freak you out like I did. Rely on other pieces of the puzzle.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks goodness I read this post.  I am so worried about my 25 year old daughter with a ca125 reading of 92.  She has a large cyst.  Her gyn did call in an onocologist to assist with the surgery.  I hope this is just a precautionaly protocol.  K
Helpful - 0
Like I said in another post...my Np at the gyn says," Anything that tickles the tummy will tickle the CA125."  Any inflammation in the abdominal cavity the day it is taken can raise the numbers.  It is most effective as a test to track the progress of treatment of ovca. It should be only an indicator of "something" amiss not ovca, especially in pre-meno women. Thanks for the objectivity, toothfairy!
Helpful - 0
LOL...mine said that right after ovulation was the best.  Oh my!  No wonder we are all so confused and lost at times!  =)
Helpful - 0
Hi Bananie, I wouldn't doubt that we all get different info. I think it also has to do with what type of cyst it is...a functional cyst would be most"active???" or visible, whatever, at ovulation, where as they may want to be able to see a complex mass when the ovary is at the beggining of the cycle and not busy with ovulation, so to speak. When they did my first US they didn't care when it was cycle wise, just to do it asap,(happened to be at ovulation). But for the 2nd they wanted it right after my period. I have a complex cyst/mass not a functional cyst so that is probably why the different timing. That is something maybe someone else can clear up for us. I am amazed at all the well informed people here!     Cindi
Helpful - 0
Well, I was told mine was complex too.  The first one was done ASAP (like yours) and the second one was scheduled by someone who had no idea when my next period was due...so then when I talked to the doc I mentioned that the first two just happened to be done two days before my period was going to start and maybe we could just pick a different time in my cycle...then she said well ovulation is the best time (yet neither were done at that time?).  Anyway, I got my third right at the end of my cycle, so we'll see what happens from there.  I am supposed to have a TAH at the end of this month, so I thought it couldn't hurt anything to have another u/s at a different point in my cycle.  It very well may depend on the type of cyst, would made sense to me.
Helpful - 0
My gyn says for ovary US just after the period is best because they are at the very beginning of their cycle.
Helpful - 0
Ok...what I keep reading is if you aren't in menopause yet and a CA-125 comes back elevated not to worry...but what I can't seem to find any info on is what if it comes back normal?  (and you're not in menopause yet)  Does normal mean nothing as well?
Helpful - 0
cip
Unfortunately, from what I've read, sometimes normal, in pre menopausal women can mean nothing also. There have been cases, I believe, where the CA 125 was ok but the person had cancer.....The test, as I understand it, is best used as an indicator when someone already has an OC diagnosis. Also, my second opinion gyn indicated to me that there are specific times during a womens cycle that this test is best administered and certain sequences, etc. No other doc had mentioned that before he did - and I saw 4 others!
Helpful - 0
I JUST DON'T WANT ANYONE TO GO THROUGH MENTAL ANGUISH BECAUSE OF AN UNRELIABLE TEST LIKE I DID!!!!! no the caps key is not stuck.
Helpful - 0
Ok...I was told by Raven to just let the test go...but I was clinging to my "normal" reading.  I still haven't heard how my ultrasound turned out yet (not officially).  Waiting just stinks.  I asked my Gyn to let me do the U/S right after my period ended because both previous U/S were done two days before my period began.  I read somewhere that the timing does matter with ovarian cysts...so I wanted to pick a totally different time of the month. (I could almost hear her rolling her eyes over the phone when I asked...but she did agree and set it up) I didn't hear anything about the CA-125 test and the timing of that...then again untill a month ago I had never even heard of a CA-125 test!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.