Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

bilateral adnexal cysts

I just had a CT scan and was told by my Dr, I had bilateral adnexal cysts with free fluid on the culdesac , also a small low attenuating structure on the liver likely a cyst or hemangioma. I have no idea what these things are . I am now going for a pelvic ultrasound . In english he said  I have a lot of fluid in the pelvic area , possibly a rupture , does anyone have any idea what all of this means ? thanks
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi , thanks for the information ... I think hemangioma is a scary word . I hope to know more after my ultrasound on the 1st . I can't stand any of this waiting to hear . thank you thank you thank you for all your answers and help , ....   :)
Helpful - 0
They will call you back to repeat your CT scan. there is a protocal that can be used to prove that what is on your liver is truly a hemangioma.  You will have to drink the "stuff" again and you will get the IV dye again.  They take a full view of your abd, then take pictures of just the area where the hemangioma is in timed intervals.  Hemangiomas will fill with contrast(the dye) but it takes longer than a vein or artery would. That is why it did not show any contrast on your CT and that is why they have to take several pictures on a time schedule.  Alot of people have hemangiomas and it scares everyone when they are first found.
Helpful - 0
thanks ,
I was caught so off guard today when the Dr. called . I was at work and had tons of people around and didn't even know what to ask . I was expecting him to say I had gall stones or honestly nothing . I wasn't even prepared to hear his voice , usually it takes a few days for results so I was thrown off , he called at 8:15 am and I only had the CT scan the day before late in the afternoon .Thank you again for your explanation and time , I will have my pelvic ultrasound tomorrow and hopefully all will be aok . :)
Helpful - 0
OK, I will give it a try.  Normally, there is only a small amount of fluid in the pelvic cul-de-sac.  I think I recall reading that 9 or 10 ml is normal, but don't quote me on this number as I really do not remember.  When a cyst ruptures, the fluid within the cyst is released into the abdomen, which then increases the fluid amount.  Another cause of fluid in the abdomen is a type of cyst which bleeds into the abdomen while remaining cyst-like.  Often a doctor will refer to such cysts as hemorrhagic. Hemorrhagic cysts can also bleed "inwardly" affecting the ovary to a greater extent and causing the cyst to grow larger, rapidly.   Yet another cause of excess fluid in the abdomen,  which is a condition called "ascites" should you see that term, is liver disfunction.  This disfunction can be caused by temporary illness or by chronic disease of the liver. A hemangioma (and darn it I have spelled that incorrectly I am sure) is a cluster of blood vessels.  These can form for a variety of reasons, and are often found on the skin of multiple-birth children (like quadruplets for example).
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.