Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

sciatica related to complex ovarian cyst?

Hello all just wondering if anyone has heard of sciatica being related to ovarian cyst(complex) I was recently told by doctors that i have sciatica(due to low back pain that radiates) about 6 weeks before they told me i have a complex ovarian cyst that is about 3.4cm that was causing pain and just wondering if the sciatica could be caused by the cyst? I was going to start chiropratic care this week for my back but than i read it could be related and i really dont want to go waste my money and time  on chiropractic care when it is because of the cyst and i would talk to my gyn about it but my app with her is not till next week!so should i hold off on the chiro care untill i talk to my gyn? or just have the chiro treat me because it might not be related?? any advise would be great thanks!!
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Sciatica related to ovarian cyst? was started.
Helpful - 0
I am experiencing sciatica right as I type this. In May 2008 I had a huge left side ovarian cyst removed. Now the right side has been bothering me, but the pain in my hip/butt has become intense over the last 2 weeks. I've had no accident or injury, I know the right sided cyst is putting pressure on the nerve.
I have an appointment with my GYN for an ultrasound/exam on Thurs - thank God!  I can't wait to deal with this, nagging, excrutiating pain and very limited relief with anti-inflammatories/pain pills.

Walking, stretching helps somewhat.
Helpful - 0
Hi,
I think I have the same problem.I had a low back pain for two years, off and on, now I feel it, and the reason is,in my opinion, the ovary cyst 4cm big.Doctors say they don't believe this could cause the problem, but i strongly believe it is.
I don't know anyone who could give some advice about the right treatment. Anz advice? thanks
Helpful - 0
167426 tn?1254086235
Can you get the perscription refilled without an appt with gyn  if they worked before, they might still do it. With no insurance,  do you have a free womans clinic available?  Or call around and find a gyne that will take payments. the free fluid when a cyst ruptures is normal.
Helpful - 0
iee
Oh my goodness. I am so glad I found this site. About two years ago I started to have extreme sciatica it was always associated with my period. About four days into my period I would get extreme lower back pain that would radiate down the side of my right leg all the way down to my pinky toe-it would last up to 8 days after my period (like clockwork). I had MRIs done ultrasound, I went to a neurologist and did nereve test and checked to see if I had a pinched nerve or herniated disc. Nothing. My gyne thought I might have endometriosis so I had laproscopic surgery done. No endometriosis but they saw fluid consistent with a cyst. so she put me on seasonale birth control (you only get your period 4times a year with this) to see if I had the pain even when I didn't have my period. The result was no sciatica pain without the period. I have since switched jobs and do not have health insurance so I haven't gone back to the gyne since. I really need to follow up. I stopped taking the birth control when the pills ran out and have thankfully been managing the pain with advil (which didn't work before--the pain is not as intense now as it was two years ago)
IE
Helpful - 0
no injuries but yes i have had x-rays done but no results back yet so im assuming everything is normal its just confusing and frustrating to have all the odd pain in different places and than for people to say its not related is even worse! thanks for your input!
Helpful - 0
I have been going through the same thing. I went to the doctor complaining of lower back pain with left leg pain all the way down and stomach pain. I had an ultrasound done and showed thickened endometrium and a possible polyp. I asked the gyn and my regular doctor if the polyp could be pressing on my sciatic nerve and they told me no. So, I went to a chiropractor and had two treatments and no improvement. On my third treatment, the chiropractor said since there has been no improvement he will not treat me until I get an MRI. I go today for a MRI. My regular doctor thinks I have a herniated disk. Has your doctor done any x-rays or MRI? Have you recently injured yourself or taking a fall? I hope all is well for you. Take care.
Helpful - 0
Yes, as Tascha stated, the lower back pain can be quite common with ovarian cysts.  Leg pain and even leg swelling can also occur.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Hi there.  I had severe lower back pain that radiated down my leg.  Turns out I had 2 softball sized dermoid cysts on my ovaries.  Since surgery I have not had the back pain!!  I do believe that if you have cysts on your ovaries, that is where your pain is coming from.  I hope this helps.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.