Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What is a posterior shadowing?

Hello - I'm new to this site and was desperately looking for some understanding women to talk to and, hopefully, some answers to my many questions. I've been just reading all your posts, kind of nervous to jump in here. Here goes...I'm 43 years old, just remarried last October, and have three kids. I had a uterine ablation about 3 years ago for abnormal uterine bleeding. It worked well at first, and then I started bleeding again - spotting at first and gradually increasing to two or three days every other week. My gynecologist ordered a vaginal ultrasound - I had never had that done before. The test revealed that my uterus was "subseptus" - the top of the uterus splits into two different canals. The technician was surprised I had kids. I was surprised that the doctor didn't see this while he was doing the ablation. I also have two lesions on my right ovary and one in my left. Here's what the ultrasound says:
Right ovary contains two lesions, one hypoechoic measuring 1.8x 1.2x 1.5 with posterior shadowing and a complex cyst measuring 2.5 x 1.8 x 2.2. Left ovary contains a small echogenic area without posterior shadowing measuring .4 cm. No free fluid. Endometrium measures .36 and appears to divide in the fundus with two separate canals, suggesting a uterus subseptus.
My doctor wants to do an endometrial biopsy on the 6th and a follow up ultrasound on the 25th of March, maybe another ablation. I've been reading everything I can about all of this, from what I can tell, a lesion can only produce a shadow if it's solid - does anyone know? Should I see an onc/gyn? Please help
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks so much for your kind words! DH is handling this well, can't believe this is happening after five short months of marriage! Nothing like putting it to the test.............ha! This site is great, so much information. I've felt like some kind of spy hanging around and reading what everyone was posting, though. I'm glad I finally posted here.
Helpful - 0
Welcome, Birdbath. I have only been here afew weeks but can tell you that these gals are the BEST! You can ask anything and usually several will have truely usefull insight. They are also good at making you feel better and less scared and alone.   Cindi
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.