Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hemorrhagic Cysts and Ovarian Cancer

Transvaginal & Pelvic Ultrasound revealed Bilateral ovarian cysts some of which are hemorrhagic and some are simple follicular. The largest hemorrhagic cyst is 1.0 x 0.9 x 0.9.   The ovaries are measuring about 2.5 x 3.0 x 1.7. There is also small free pelvic fluid.

I have had symptoms of extreme weight loss, stomach bloating, burping, and nausea, but no other symptoms. I have no abdominal or leg pain. My blood work is normal (did not have the CA-125 though). The stomach bloating, burping, and nausea comes and goes.  I may feel fine for two weeks, then have those symptoms for two weeks. It's been off and on like this for over 8 months now.

The doctor strongly believes this is NOT ovarian cancer based upon the Transvaginal & Pelvic Ultrasound and told me not to worry at all. The doctor felt that the ovarian cysts were way too small to be causing digestive symptoms and she saw nothing on the ultrasound that would indicate that this is ovarian cancer.

Does this Ultrasound report sound like ovarian cancer?  Should I get a second opinion?  Could these cysts be causing the stomach bloating and nausea? Also, is the small free pelvic fluid normal?  The ultrasound report just states facts, but doesn't give any analysis of what this is or whether is is normal or abnormal.

I am so scared. Thank you SO much!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for all your responses.  I appreciate it very much! Yes, I was just seeing a gynecologist, so I am going to schedule an appointment with an ob/oncologist.  My gyne just told me to get another follow up ultrasound and go from there. She didn't mention birth control pills or anything else at this point.
Helpful - 0
Ovarian cancer cannot be "crossed" off until it is biopsied.
I would definately go for a second opinion; and I agree with Gatsby; an ob/oncologist would be your best bet. Just as well get things done right the first time.
Hang in there and keep pushing until you get your questions, and fears, addressed.
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Your cysts could also cause bloating and nausea.  When the cysts grow, they push things out of the way.  It could be pressing on your stomach, thus causing the nausea.  Are you seeing a gyn or a gyn/onc?  Gyn/onc are more experienced in the field of ovarian disturbances.  I would strongly suggest a 2nd opinion.  If not for peace of mind, then to confirm what the first dr says.  Fluid filled cysts can grow quite large.  Also, If the cyst is pressing on your stomach and intestines, it could explain the weight loss.  Still, I would again suggest a 2nd opinion from a gyn/onc.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Thank you Tascha.  I don't have the lower back pain, constipation, or diarrah symptoms.  And my symptoms are off and on...sometimes I will feel good for a month, then be sick for 1-2 weeks.  Is extreme weight loss common with Ovarian Cancer along with early satiety, stomach bloating, and nausea?

Do my cysts as described above from my TV and Pelvic Ultrasound report sound like OVCA? My gyne said to cross ovarian cancer off my list that she is sure I do not have it based upon the ultrasound report and exam she did, but I just wanted to hear what you or others thought about this.

Thank you!

Helpful - 0
Yes, I wholeheartedly share the advice of Tascha and Dian - get a second opinion.  Statistically speaking, you just have annoying benign cysts, but it eases the mind and protects your health to have another professional take a look anyway.

Has your doctor recommended any hormonal treatments like bcp's, or something more drastic like Lupron, to help with the repeat cyst problem?  Those might not be an option for you - it depends on your tolerance and opinions - but some women have been helped by  medications.
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site.  Just to let you know, 99% of ovarian cysts are BENIGN.  Ovarian cysts mimic ovca symptoms.  Other symptoms include lower back pain and GI problems such as acid reflux, heart burn, constipation and diarria(sp).  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.