Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Moms followup blood test

Well its been a week since the chemo and mom had a blood test.  One of her counts was low and they gave her an injection so that she can continue with the chemo in a couple of weeks.  Im assuming it was her white count that was down since the chemo really wipes out the immune system.

Anyway, no mention was made about the cancer itself.  Is it too soon to see any difference in the CA-125 count?

Anyone?
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You are doing really great.  I am betting on the ten years right along with you!  Hang in there.
Helpful - 0
Yes the time is flying and before we know it treatment number 6 will have come on gone.  I just hope these treatments work on her and she has a very long remission.  I want my mom around at least another 5 years.  Im pushing for 10.  Im just tired of worrying all the time.  I just feel so bad for her and wish this would somehow just go away so she will be healthy again.
Helpful - 0
Robin, Im not so wonderful, but thank you for the kind words.

I just spoke with my mom...they didnt take a full vial of blood....they just pricked her finger I guess to test for her counts and sure enough she needed an injection.  I guess they will take a vial of blood right before her next treatment to gauge how things are going.
Helpful - 0
I believe that they take a ca-125 after the second chemo usually two weeks after the treatment. The white blood cell shots are painful to some people, they require me to take pain meds every 4 hours. (bone pain, its definately a different  kind of pain) Some people get no side effects at all. Good Luck to all!!
Helpful - 0
Hello!

I've never had chemo, but I've been listening to (and reading about) a lot of women who have. Your mom's CA125 may not go down until after the 2nd or 3rd treatment. I believe that is when the doctors start looking for a reaction on that test.
If I'm wrong, someone will hopefully come along and correct me! It's good that your mom is getting the treatment she needs and has a wonderful son like you to care for her.
God bless!
Robin
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, Procrit is for red blood cell count, and Neupogen or Neulasta for white blood cell count/platelets.  In my case, the Dr. took a vial for the CA 125 before each treatment which was every three weeks.  Now that my treatments have ended, he is continuing to take it once a month.  Had it just today, in fact.  Won't have results until next week, but if it holds steady, then my appointments will move to every two months. I'm sure each doctor has his/her own methods for when the test is taken, but it sounds as if everything your mother is experiencing is as expected.  You both continue to be in my prayers.  One down, five to go.  That sixth treatment will be here before you know it.
Helpful - 0
If the staff only pricked her finger, then the test was likely a simple hematocrit - basically, a test  to check the red blood cell levels.   Someone else might know this answer...is Procrit the drug given to support red blood cell formation?   I do not recall the name of the drug at this moment.
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
That's weird...for me, they take three vials one week after treatment, and two vials two days before the next treatment. They started checking my CA-125 after the first treatment but I have heard that the drop after the 3rd treatment is what counts, so your  chemo people might not bother to check it earlier. I am sure there are different approaches and that they know what they are doing.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.