Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

worried about ovarian cancer

I would like some feedback on what my mother is going through now. She found out her bloodcount after the CA125 test has gone up to 4000 from 70 just 3 months ago. This is obviously not a good sign. It has spread to her Liver. Not sure where else it has spread to. She may have to do daily chemo shots of 1/2 hour for the next 6 mths or a clinical trial. Have any of you gone through this step and what am I to expect? I live 2 continents apart from her and need to know my necessary plans. I have young kids too. What kind of drug do they administer at this stage? She was 3C 2 years ago before her surgery. She had 2 remissions. I'm beyond myself and hope I have clearly written everything done. Also, how serious is this phase? Should I start telling my girls what is happeneing to their grandparent? I don't want them to hear at last minute if things were to go wrong. Please send me lot's of advice. I can only thank you in advance.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
You and your mother are in my thoughts and prayers.  Have you been able to contact her drs. and find out what they have to say?  Sometimes parents just don't tell us everything.  My dad had cancer of the liver due to agent orange.  He was not going to tell me because I was pregnant at the time, but I knew something was wrong.  It has to be extremely tough on you being so far away.  I am here to "listen" any time you need to "talk".  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Unfortunately, this newest development is indeed serious.   But, it is not as serious as if the cancer had entered her lungs.  And if she responds to a change in treatment, then it might well buy her much more time.  I have been told that the "quick" chemotherapy is not as bad as the larger dosage regimens.   As for what drug they will use...that depends on which drugs she has used previously as well as what doctors believe will work for her now.  Often at this stage, quicker changes are made in treatment options, instead of a longer time between changing regimens.  Also, if she does enter a clinical trial, then she will be using the latest, but likely unproven, treatment methods.    All of you have my prayers, and I am sorry that I could not offer you more information.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.