Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

my mom is getting surgery - I have some questions

My mom was supposed to get chemo this morning.  We were almost out the door, and the chemo nurse called.  Since she got so little drained, the oncologist decided it was time she got a shunt inserted in her abdomen to drain the ascites more naturally. So the chemo is on hold for now.  Has anyone heard of this?  I do know it's just an overnight stay. I didn't read the literature they gave my mom, but she did, and agrees it's a good idea.  This procedure isn't new, because the article the chemo nurse showed her was from 1989.  I'm sorry, but I don't know the official name of this procedure.

Has anyone had this done?  Does it help?  I know the shunt is supposed to drain the ascites back into the body naturally, so she doesn't have to go back and forth to get drained. My mom is scared of the needle (she still feels it even though they numb her).  But it's more stress.  We don't know when she's getting it done.  On Thursday, she sees the gyn/onc who's going to do the procedure.  At least we know her.  

The gyn/onc can maybe only answer this, but do you think it's possible for her to try and remove some of the cancer while she's got my mom open?  I mean, with all that chemo my mom's had, the tumors HAD to shrunk, some! Sorry for all these questions, but this is very new to us.  This is another thing my mom has to worry about.  But she can't go on the way she is, either.  She really looks about 9 months pregnant, and it's almost impossible for her to walk, and she's always out of breath walking a short distance.  She only got drained Thursday.  This is ridiculous!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's actually not surprising you haven't heard of this procedure: it hasn't been done on a lot of people, I just found out!  I found the article, and the procedure is "pertoneovenous shunt"!  I have no idea if I spelled it right...I can't even say it!  I also have no clue to what I'm reading about.  I even looked it up on the internet, and no one can seem to explain it in simple English.  So we'll see what the gyn/onc. says.  All I know is that my mom is in extreme discomfort, she's very weak, (she can't eat) and she's tired all the time. I'm getting really scared now.  I feel like the worst is going to start happening.
Helpful - 0
Hi, Christine, I wish I had some information for you, but I do not know of anyone who had this procedure.  I would expect it to be a big step forward for your mother; we know that she will be more comfortable with less fluid, and more emotionally relaxed if she is not worrying about another needle!  I am glad to hear that something is happening for her.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.