Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ginger story on the BBC website

'ginger for ovca' has reached the BBC website - look under Health at bottom of main news page - www.news.bbc.co.uk/ - picked up on the American conference I think.  Have been eating it for some time now so hope it does me  good!

Tandy (Helen Jane) - can you tell us about your 9 year story ? - sorry, I may have missed it along the way.  That's an impressive length of time!  You sound very sorted out about it all - must be the Scottish genes!  

Sue - so very sorry you are having such a bad time with your skin and feet - must be miserable.  Hope the acqueous cream and cotton socks, gloves work.  Have you had a good Easter?  It's lovely here (Hertfordshire, UK) today - sunny and bright with all the spring flowers and blossom coming out now.  Been trying to do a bit of gardening now I'm only on the carboplatin but I don't really have that much energy.  Did manage to clear the greenhouse out a bit - aren't women strange getting a sense of satisfaction out of tidying up!?  Trying to estimate if I could go on the cruise before the final chemo - we cancelled in Feb as I knew I wouldn't make it on normal chemo - will have to take a risk with infection etc (not that likely with a bunch of old folk! well middle aged to be kind).  It's to the Greek islands and Turkish coast seeing lots of ancient monuments etc on a wonderfully comfortable ship (been before).  I won't be able to get travel insurance for the cancer so not sure.  My daughter thinks it would do me good but my husband is more anxious (he'd have to pick up the pieces if things went wrong!)  Cheers, Jenny
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Jen,
Go on the holiday and enjoy it!
We're booked for Skiathos in May and I'm going,I don't care what they say.The cruise isn't calling in there is it-I might meet you-you never know!I'm trying to fit my chemos around the date at the moment.Should have my next one Wednesday,but I don't think my bloods will be good enough,so I'll probably be delayed a week,which will work out perfectly with the holiday so I'm not bothered if I get this one on time or not.
I can't get travel insurance,but I went to Florida last October without insurance as well-honest I'm not a barmpot!My oncologist gave me some antibiotics to take just in case I came down with an infection or anything and I was fine.
It's lovely and sunny here too-I just feel better when the sun comes out anyway.
Got very sore,greasy feet from all the creams I'm applying.I'm at the hospital in half and hour for my bloods-I think I'm going in my slippers.....
Keep on going girls-we'll beat this bugger in the end!!!!!!
Sue x
Helpful - 0
Hi to you all across the Pond! I think that a Cruise sounds wonderful, my Mom has been going on about going on one and I think that maybe when I get better I will offer to go with her. My Dad passed away a five years ago and there was alot that they did not get to do because we all work so hard, work just dosen't seem as important to me anymore. Is Tandy from Scotland? This is my spouses favorite place he has the Kilt and the whole thing , we go to the Highland Games here in Ferndale and really have a good time. Ever since I started on Chemo I cannot take the smell of Haggis, I still have not tasted it!!! I had a big surprise last week I had my bedroom remodeled by some family members while I was out of town I cannot even tell you how this has brought great Joy to me, it is beautiful!!!
Sorry for any pain anyone is going through, I got a cold sore right before Chemo last week and it is painful, any ideas what to put on it? I will get my white blood shots Thurs. so I don't know if it even has a chance of healing until then.
Tandy, I also was never sick a day in my life and boom same thing as you, sounds like you are  working your way through it like the rest of us. Ok enough of my rambling!!!!  Kathy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.