Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Dealing with OVCA Dx

I guess this is a question for the 1% club.  To those of you who are dealing with ovca, how do you handle living day to day with this diagnosis hanging over your head?  I confess to being extremely anxious as I was receiving treatment and still have problems with it even 6 months out from treatment.  I think my anxiety stems from my nursing background, having a little bit of knowledge can sometimes work against you.  The other issue was that I cared for my terminally ill mother who passed away from colon cancer a year before I was diagnosed.  That was hard enough in itself; little did I know that soon I would be dealing with my own illness.

I'm in awe of many of you ladies and have received so much encouragement from you as I read your posts.  It comforts me to know that you can have a real life while living with this disease.  I'm still pretty new to this so I'm learning how to cope everyday.  Please share your thoughts.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hang in there. Even now having gone through my first recurrence, I am looking forward to the summer and hoping for a  better outcome this time. The good thing that has come out of this is my closeness to my family has never been better and I am able to go and see them whenever I want. I had always worked so much. I only wish now that they did not work so hard!
I always say I feel really good if it wasn't for those darn Oncolgists making us sick!! I must say that when I was done with first treatment I really did not worry about it coming back  and I am going to try and feel the same way this time! I Pray that you gals have beat this and moved on!!
Helpful - 0
Thank you all for your words of wisdom.  Sue and dian, I completely agree that your perspective on life changes.  Like you, I have discovered that there are gifts from cancer--all of my relationships have improved and I now really appreciate each day and the little things that I never took the time to notice.  And never again will I complain about getting another year older on my birthday; I just thank God for giving me another year!

Agreed, we are in for the fight of our lives.  I am determined to make the most of the time I have left, whether it be 1 year or 20 years.  During treatment I couldn't imagine returning to a life where I could once again enjoy a simple meal out with my husband or make plans for a weekend trip.  I now realize that I can do this--life doesn't have to stop because cancer has entered our world.  

Again, thank you for all of your support.  dian, we could almost make that walk together if you're still in Iowa.  I live next door in Nebraska  :-)

Helpful - 0
Hi, I agree with Diane on this-you see everything with a new set of eyes.I was diagnosed last Feb, finished my chemo in August,but it had recurred by December and I'm on chemo again now.I just enjoy every day with my husband and children from the minute I get up to the minute I fall asleep.Book a holiday,planning and sorting that out will fill your time,just enjoy being here on this planet.I'm grateful for every day, and altgough I'm not happy to have this cancer,I've met some of the loveliest people of my life through it.Just make sure you don't miss your regular check-ups and as the gap between them gets longer,enjoy it!!!!
Take care
Sue x
Helpful - 0
Hi cyster,

It is hard living day to day with this dx. But one thing I have found out, we don't have to do it alone. The women on this forum, whether they are in the 1% club or the 99% club, are all in it with us. Hang in there.
Helpful - 0
Hello...I too am six months out from chemo...this can be tough stuff to deal with...I think facing one's own mortality is always difficult, to say the least...my background is in respiratory therapy...my second (now on my third) husband and I had a family practice here in NW Iowa (he was a GP)...yes , sometimes I scare myself also.  That is when I go the extra mile to get more info...I am certain you do the same..we both know KNOWLEDGE IS POWER...I guess I just figure I will deal with whatever comes my way....what choice is there! Running is not an option..neither is denial...I refuse to live in fear, but, I have to admit it is lapping at my shore line. This is absolutely the fight of our lives...sounds stupid, but I don't ask why me..I just figure why not me? Who should get this in my place?  Besides, who could handle it better...if I loose this battle I will go down with dignity, honor and pride in the battles I have fought and won...I do enjoy my life...I find pleasure and joy in sunsets, sparrows, children's laughter, watching cattle butt heads, watching new calves run and romp....I love looking at clouds and the blue in the sky, the sound of rain and thunder...hell...I even enjoy yelling at the talking heads and politicians on the TV.....I try to laugh out loud several times a day......only thing I curse on a regular basis is my weight gain!  Getting hugs from my sons, husband, grand-daughters and daughter is my very favorite thing .
You come talk to me when you are down, lady, and we will find stupid things to laugh about but only after we have talked about the things that are getting us down...lets take walks together.....it could only be a good thing for each of us.
Peace be with you.
dian
Helpful - 0
I am still waiting to learn whether I have OC but 2 years ago I had breast cancer so I totally understand the anxiety of "will it come back?" "how will I know for sure?" on, and on..  I guess after a while I decided to just have faith in God - and VERY frequent doctor's appts & testing.  I am religious about this - my breast cancer was caught VERY early - no lump to feel- but it was seen on my annual mammo.  So small it had not spread so I had only a lumpectomy & radiation.  Early detection of any recurrence is key.  Don't know enough yet about how this is actually done with OC since it is a sneaky kind of disease, but we must be VERY educated - and demanding- patients with our doctors to get the info and testing we need when we want it.  Hope this helps some.
Helpful - 0
110491 tn?1274481937
I was diagnosed 6 months ago and just finished my treatments, and am officially in my first remission. So far I have been handling it well. I had a few moments were I panicked (especially after reading the boards), and they might come back or depression might set in...I don't know. I just rewarded myself with a trip to the coast and didn't think about cancer for one second for four days. It really cleared my head. Now I am back in my normal pre-cancer life. At least that's what it feels like - as if nothing ever happened. I wonder if I am in denial? At any rates, I like the carefree feeling. I don't want to worry until I have a recurrence.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.