Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

ovarian cyst mass 10 cm

I am 52 and have a cyst mass on my left ovary. I had a hysterectomy 24 years ago and both ovaries were left in.  I don't know if I gone through menopause.  Some days in my lower left abdomen I have some burning sensation.  I also have gas, frequent bowel movement, IBS.  On January 31 I had intense pain for about 12 hours in my left abdomen then it slowly subsided over about a week.  First ultrasound Feb 9 said my ovary was oblong 7.4 x 3.2 cm and had a 3 cm cyst.  On March 14 ultrasound said there is a complex mass 7.5 cm with multiple cysts measuring 4 cm.  On April 19 the ultrasound said I have a large loculated cyst with one thick septation and the cyst measures 10.3 in greatest diameter.  This ultrasound also noted a spleen measuring 15 cm.  A CA125 blood test was 17. I am moving in 6 weeks across the country and the doctor here would not be scheduling surgery before that time but could put me on a waiting list for cancellation. I didn't want to have surgery before moving if possible.  The doctor did not believe there was any danger in waiting to follow up after I move. He gave me the test results and I plan to follow up in my new home.  I wonder if it is safe to wait 2 months to follow up.  The doctor said if I had intense pain like I did in January and it becomes an emergency then surgery could be done.  Also what constitutes an emergency.  Pain that lasts more than a few hours?  I don't want surgery before I move but don't want to put my life at risk either.  The doctor and his nurse both think it is fine to wait and I shouldn't worry--I am fine.  But I still worry
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback.  Suzsen, I am seeing a gynecologist and I understand what your wanting a cyst taken out sooner rather than later.  My husband and I feel the same way and his worries are contributing to my anxiety.  According to my current condition, if I was booked for surgery in this city it would be in July.  Since we are moving on June 2, the follow-up with a new doctor and getting a surgery booked should be well underway by mid June.  I feel reassured that livertrans (I'm sure there is a story behind that name :) has a 20cm x 15cm that has been followed for about a year.  This forum is a great place to express my concerns.  My friends - bless their hearts - don't really understand and I fear boring them with my excessive worry babble.  My greatest fear is that waiting to have the surgery will create complications.  But the doctor read all the test results and said it can wait -- so the obsessive worry must stop.  Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
If it helps the doc's have been following a complex cyst on my ovary for over a year now.  It is about 20cm by 15cm now.  No one is terribly concerned but I am finally having sugery May 8.  It they waited that long with me and still aren't very worried.  They just want to take it out because the possiblity of it turning malignant does exist.  I am also 52, don't know if I've gone through menopause as I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago.  Definitely follow up after your move but if they aren't too worried now it is probably ok to wait.  Not nice to start in a new place with surgery but it would not be nice to move after this surgery.  Unless of course someone else is doing all the packing and lifting.  We can dream can't we.
Helpful - 0
Talk about rotten timing!  What a lot to have on your plate.

What type of dr are you seeing?  A primary, a gyn, or a gyn/oncologist?

Personally, if it were me I'd want it out sooner rather than later, especially as it is growing and causing pain.  But that's me speaking for myself.  

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.