Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Post-op vomiting and pain - when does the waiting game end?

Hello, friends - I've found comfort in these boards days and thought I'd let you all know how much I appreciate your words.  I apologize in advance if I ramble in my question, I am incredibly frustrated.
I'm 36 and have suffered from systemic lupus for many years. 4 years ago I had an emergency appendectomy and cystectomy, the latter of which involved a large bleeding corpus luteum cyst.  No endo or other comp. Since that surgery, and esp over the past year, I've had my period 2-3 times/mo. regularly, accompanied by horrible cramps, clotting, etc.  In that time, a large complex cyst on my left ovary grew from a golf ball to an orange. My gyn was going to watch it until he discovered through h20-us polyps and endometriomas in addition to the large growth, which he suspected was an endo or dermoid.  Given the totality, plus symptoms of bloating, nausea, pressure on rectum, bleeding, etc, I had surgery Friday (lap/hysteroscopy/d&c/ablation). I still do not know what was taken out at the time, since he now has gone on vacation.  With regard to the complex cyst, after surgery he simply told me he wasn't sure what it was because it was too light in color to be endo and would not know more until the pathology came back.
In the past 5 days, I've developed a UTI, thrush, a hard lump above one of my incisions, and constipation and vomiting.  I'm at such a loss because my doctors are mia. Of course the lack of communication is making my mind wander (ovca).  
Has anyone here had a similar experience?  Any advice for alleviating symptoms? How long for path results? Thanks and love!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, Soniek - I think my response got deleted because I was still venting about the researcher.  In any case, thank you very much for your response, especially when you're feeling so lousy yourself.  I have called my doctor, and now I await a response.  
Hudson, when you had the large lump above one of your incisions, was there anything that you could do to alleviate the resultant pain and discomfort?  You probably already mentioned, but how long did it take to go down?
Helpful - 0
hi there..just wnated to add my 2 cents..after all 3 of my surgeries int he past 3 months,i was told in no uncertain terms,if i begin vomiting,to immediatly call..im not sure if read anywhere on your post,but are running a temp??even a low grade temp along side of vomiting should warrent a call to your doc....sonie
Helpful - 0
The UTI can be a side effect of the catheter inserted during surgery.  The constipation and vomiting are most likely due to your pain medication.  The lump can be due to trapped fluids from the surgery, or to the healing process itself.

HOWEVER, any and all of the symptoms can be symptoms of something more serious, including infections.  Please CALL  your doctor's office.  There should be another doctor in line to receive emergencey telephone calls, who should at least tlak with you, and perhaps walk you through a post op checklist and recommend your next step.  Please, call, now.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.