Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

partially solid mass

Tomorrow I go for a 6 week follow up TVS.  The first one showed a mass of some sort on my left ovary that is not totally solid nor totally fluid filled.  I went to the gyn due to painful sex that continued well into the next day. (The pain did, not the sex).  :)  This had been going on for a year and getting worse with each round of sex. I also mentioned bloating, gas, abdominal pain, mood swings, insomnia, previous diagnosis of fibromyalgia.  She inferred the painful sex and other symptoms were perimenopause and suggested vaginal estrogen for the dryness.  I told her I wasn't dry and if so, we have a great lube.  
After the first TVS, her office called and said to do the 2nd TVS in 6 wks. to see if there had been any change and the dr. prescribed vaginal estrogen to take care of the dryness. I took it as prescribed, twice a week, and became so ill from the meds I went to my MD who thought it was my gall bladder or an ulcer. We did an ultrasound for that and bloodwork - the only thing that showed was a low white blood count.  He tagged it a viral infection that would run its course.  After the third dose of the estsrogen I did my own online homework and found out I was having the reaction to it.  I amnot taking it anymore and am questioning the gyn for givinig me it in the firt place if I have a growth on my ovary.  What do you think?
My bloating and stomach pain continues and now I have low back pain on the left side as well.  So, what kind of questions do I need to be armed with after this next TVS?  I don't remember Mom going through this when she did menopause....
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I aggree with RUN, don't WALK to a doctor who will take an interest. I have been ignoring symptoms forEVER because doctors didn't seem alarmed. Now I am the one who is finally alarmed. And in a heap of pain and discomfort too NOT to mention the fear and worry associated with the waiting game. I need pain medication to leave the house or even the bed. I know that no matter what is speculated, the truth of what is truly growing inside my belly will only be known after surgery and AFTER biopsy results. We tend to kid ourselves into thinking our symptoms can't possibly be something serious, and with doctors chiming in, it's no wonder. The fact is, it's sometimes impossible to know what you're up against until a biopsy is completed. So....RUN to the doctor, and let us know what you find out. We're all pulling for you. :)

P.S. When I first posted, I was given some brilliant advice I'd like to pass on from Anna-Maria "I think you already know what needs to be done which is why you are here. I would love to say oh it will be fine, nothing to worry about there, just forget about it - But there will not be a single post that gives you that advice. It is unlikely to be cancer(99%)but is unlikely enough for you?" She knows of what she speaks.
Helpful - 0
Thanks to L&P for your quick responses.  I had cysts (a lot) when I was in my 20's, then found dysplasia on cervix and had hysterectomy at 29.  Have had no issues until now, age 47.  I also was concerned with the estrogen possibly causing the cyst to grow even more, seems like she would have given me progesterone to see if it would shrink...  It will be a week before I get any results but will let you know the outcome.  Am inclined to agree with the run don't walk theory on another gyn.  Never considered the oncologist - thanks for the suggestion.  
And yes, the DH has been terrific about not wanting to hurt me but even MY patience is wearing thin with this mess.  The doc was more worried that he wasn't getting any (here's something for the dryness) than about finding the source of the pain.  grr
Thanks again for the support - its great knowing somone reads how we are dealign with things.
Helpful - 0
119341 tn?1232563757
I agree with LindaF. I'd run to another gyn or gyn/onc. This doctor (who prescribes vaginal estrogen for dryness when you don't have it), seems ditsy. Is that all that was told to you. Was that it was part solid and part fluid. Nothing about the size or if has walls.

The symptoms you described are symptoms of ovarian cysts too.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.