Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lap Surgery 6/22 to remove dermoid cyst

What can I expect after surgery?
I know I leave the same day from the hospital & I also told work that I'll be out for 2 weeks.

I know I should stay away from the beach & pool ... for how long?

Also how soon can I fly afterwards??

What can & can't I do?

Any advice would be really helpful!!
Thanks

Gabbie
NY, NY
Age 22
7 cm x 4cm dermoid cyst on right ovary - laporscapically removed
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had mine removed by lap and they told me no lifting for 2-3 days, avoid stairs for 2-3 days, and rest. Then it was a 5lb weight limit for 1-2 weeks, no pushing or pulling either. No baths or soaking in water until the vaginal bleeding stopped completely for at least two days (still going 3 weeks later...grr) because of the risk of uterine infection, and I just got to start exercise-type stuff this week. Also got bumped to a 10-15lb weight limit.
I was only off 5 days from work (had to go back, and no problems besides being tired and having to work the pain pill schedule around driving time)
They didn't tell me anything about flying...
Hope this helps!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Same as MickeyVicki said except I was told two weeks and after ten day post op visit was told to still hold off on sex and lifting for two more. Guess it really depends on what they have to do or move around in there. They should go over the what not's before they release you from the hospital. Take Care!
Hugs,
Darlyn
Helpful - 0
As are most patients after this type of surgery, I was told to avoid climbing stairs, having sex, driving a car, and lifting heavy objects for one week after my laparoscopic surgery to remove a large endometrioma.  After one week, I had a post-op check, and all but the last restriction was removed.   Some women have these restrictions imposed for two weeks.   Also, during that first week post-op, I was told to avoid keeping my incisions wet/under water.  In other words, I was told that I could shower, and that it would not hurt for water to flow over my incisions, but that I was not to sit in a bath or hot tub.

Your doctor's office should be able to provide you with a list of the post-op instructions so that you can plan appropriately for your recovery.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.