Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

bilateral ovarian cysts removed by laparotomy 2 weeks ago!

My story starts about 18 months ago when an abdominal ultrasound revealed a suspected dermoid cyst on my left ovary about 15mm across.  A rescan 3 months later revealed no further growth so we adopted a watchful waiting approach.  12 months later another ultrasound revealed that the cyst had grown to over 4cm but radiographer couldnt get a good look at it so advised an MRI scan (worrying).  Had the MRI scan a few weeks later but radiographer wont tell me the results.  1 week later the MRI unit call me back for another scan (very worrying!).  I am booked for surgery the following week.  Upon admission my consultant reveals I have bilateral cysts of 4 and 5cm on each ovary and is going to perform a bilateral cystectomy by laparotomy.  Op goes smoothly and consultant says that cysts do look like dermoid but to wait for histology.  2 weeks post op I am doing really well.  

I Just wanted to say that the last few weeks have been tremendously stressful for myself and my family and I have spent a lot of time browsing this site without posting.  I have to say that I have been in TOTAL admiration for you ladies, the support you offer each other, and your strength and determination is amazing and I hve found geat strength myself in dealing with this from reading your stories and your informative posts. Thankyou!

I am extremely fotunate to have found out yesterday that both of the cysts were benign.  But I did want to post my story and say that I admire you all so much and wish every one of you wonderful ladies the very best of luck with whatever you are dealing with.
deb xxx
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Aren't we British?  I have to say that is was some very neglectful care of my first son that lead me these conclusions with regards to never ever relying upon anyone else to take the initiative or responsibility for ones health.  My parents neighbour discovered a breast lump and immediately went to our GP who sent her away saying you dont get breast cancer at 45!!!  She went back a few weeks later to see another GP who said the exact same thing.  She was so fearful of wasting their time and looking a fool that she didnt go back for another 6 months whereupon it was discovered she had advanced and terminal breast cancer.  TOTAL B*!locks to British reserve I say!

Thinking of you & good luck.
deb xxx
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
What a fabulous informative post thank you very very much for that. I find it very interesting how even the fear of dying does nothing to surpress the socially entrenched 'dont want to bother anyone' scenaro. The problem is and has always been the doctor patient power inequality. I am an educated woman who has studied people in every setting from cognitive to social and yet..... when I try to talk to a doctor I turn into mrs malaprop. I get all my words muddled up and cant even construct a sentence I must sound like a bumbling bafoon HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Hi Linda, both of mine were dermoids (GROSS! - hairy fatballs!)

Hi Anna- maire - I feel really sorry for you - I just read further down and see the S*!t you are having to go through.  It is very very hard and the waiting is almost the worst bit!  Not knowing what you are dealing with was a real struggle for me.  I was really worried about the recovery from the op as I had a laparotomy but I am doing great 2 weeks on and I am certainly going to be back to normal activities within 4 weeks.  I was prepared to be out of action for some time but a wonderful hubbie and family and friends have taken my two boys (4 and 2) and entertained them constantly for the last 2 weeks allowing me complete relaxation and rest and I'm sure that has made all the difference in my case.  I'm sure you will be just fine for your brothers wedding.  

I agree that healthcare in the UK is in a dire state and thankfully my hubbie works for a USA firm and has fantastic private health cover so I got to go privately for the op which was a real benefit and allowed me to fit it in before the summer holidays.  I work at the loacls NHS hospital so was DREADING going in there.

I hope all goes well for you - and the one thing that I always adhere to with the NHS is that only YOU can take responsibility for your own care.  I always always always find myself questioning people, phoning up consultants and getting stroppy as to why I havent been informed of my histology results that have sat unopened at the hospital for a week and demanding more nd more answers.  I knwo the staff are stretched but somtimes the care is verging on neglectful!

Take care hun and fingers crossed for you
deb x
Helpful - 0
Hi there, and so glad your cysts were benign. Just curious if they were dermoid or cystadenomas? I know both of these can show up bilaterlally.

Linda J
Helpful - 0
Congratulations on the great news.  Thank you for your kind words, and you are right, all of these ladies are wonderful and so supportive.  Hope everything continues to go well for you.  Kasie
Helpful - 0
Hi Anna, YES UK!  How did you guess?  At my preop I asked whether they did the histology whilst I was under GA in order to determine how much to take and was told it would be 7-10 days for the results - I was absolutely amazed and made the comment that it didnt really aid ones recovery to be waiting on the results so long post op.  As it happened it was 15 days in my case due to the fact that my consultant decided to take a holiday (hich I by no means resent him, but it would have been nice to have been put out my misery before yesterday).  However I was told that normally results are back within 6 days but the thought of having to go back for further surgical removal was somewhat scarey so I completely sympathise.  My consultant did say that he can normally make a good judgement as to what  the cyst is during surgery but I have no idea with what degree of accuracy.
I hope all goes well for you - do you have any idea what you are dealing with from your scans?  are you in the uk too?
deb xxx
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Hi,

Yep I am in the UK too. Right now after learning this it feels like this F****** nightmare will never end.

No relief of oh the surgery I have been lying awake thinking about is over. I am supposed to be my brothers bridesmaid 4 weeks after the op and thought well I might just be ok for that. Now I am thinking I could be back on the operating table.

I hate England if everything goes well I may well move to the states, this country is pap. I have a 20cm complex which they think is dermoid with a slightly elevated ca 125. I will have waited approx 6 weeks for the op from the original diagnosis.

Unlike the states ladies we dont get to have a second opinion. The NHS is the all seeing all knowing one man band from hell.

The whole process is so slow you wait and wait and wait and even if you turn out to be free from cancer you have lost your mind in the process!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Wait a second!

You had to wait 2 weeks after the op before you found out they were benign???????????????????????????????

Are you in the UK by any chance?

I have just discovered - although I dont know for sure yet - that we dont have a lovely gny/onc in with us for staging. Oh no instead we have the op cyst is sent off for pathology then we wait for results. If it is cancer we go back to be opened up again for staging etc

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD ANYTHING SO RIDICULOUS?

ANna x
Helpful - 0
Thanks for posting your story, and I am pleased to hear your good news...we should all be so lucky!  Please consider continuing to read the posts here because your story can bring hope to those who are in those stressful places you visited....you have experiences that make you valuable to others who are in despair.......again, thanks for letting us hear your story.
Peace.
dian
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Welcome to the site.  I am glad that you posted and that we finally get to meet you!  I am happy for you that you have good news.  I too had dermoids (hairy little buggers!).  I hope your stressful time is behind you and that happier days are ahead.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.