Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
140437 tn?1215109742

Laparotomy and my dog?

This may seem like a strange question but I am realy starting to get worried. I have a staffie who is my absolute baby. The trouble is he is so boisterous that he jumps up on my lap and goes crazy every time I come home. He is a real mummies dog. He is used to me being there all the time and follows me about the house. After the op I am going to have to somehow stop him from jumping on me. I dont want to have to lock him in the kitchen for 4 weeks and I am in a bit of a quandry about what to do. Has anyone else had this problem?

Anna x
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
You know, if your husband does a good job at vacuuming, then you might take a little longer to recover than you might think!  LOL!  If you are like most of us, we are used to being the ones that get things done at home.  But during recovery, let people wait on you and do things for you.  It's the only way you will recover properly.  I had to force myself to let go, but then finally decided the world wasn't going to cave in if there was a dish in the sink or dust on the TV.  I had a very large incision and couldn't bend over in the shower, or anywhere else, for that matter.  So, I got one of shower puff things (do they have a name??) that was attached to a long handle...about 12 inches long.  It really helped with showering.  Also, you can just take a washcloth, soap it up, and throw it on the shower floor to wash your feet.  Of course, when you are finished, have DH pick it up for you. ;)

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA When I wrote it I thought people are gonna think AYYYYYY shes gone mad lol.

Great tips though. Trying to get organised to be useless for a few weeks is a very difficult thing for a woman to do. Its amazing what you take for granted I was stood in the shower last night thinking 'how am I going to be able to lift my legs up to wash my feet :(

And I have to rely on my husband to do the vacuming!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Am I the only one who glanced at the title of this thread and wondered who was getting a laporatomy for their dog?  Maybe it's just me!  I am going on vacation in two days, and I think my brain left early.

Maybe you could start training your dog now, so he will be used to it by the time you come home from surgery.  I like livertrans' idea about the doggie treat, too.  Dogs really are intuitive, so as hyper as he may be now, I bet he does realize you aren't 100% after surgery.  

Hope you are feeling well these days!

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
I tip I have read, and used, was for dogs jumping on you when you come through the door.  I don't know if it would help with this.  I am the only one in the house that gets annoyed when the dog jumps on me.  He has sharp little claws between clippings.  Anyway, the tip was to take a dog treat( I used milk bones) with you in your pocket.  When you come in you hold up the treat and say "sit" until the dog sits and then give him the treat and a pat.  After 2-3 days our dog did not jump on my anymore.  It's worth a shot if you have enough time.
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
Do you know what, I didnt even think of that. Sometimes I cant believe how helpfull this forum is.

Thank you ladies

Anna x
Helpful - 0
Gail... I thought that too. That's why I just HAD to read this one!
Helpful - 0
Being an avid dog lover--I just ahd to see how these two were connected.  I love it!!  And I love my two dogs!
Helpful - 0
I agree, too... I have 'lap cats' who want to be on me or next to me at all times. One in particular liked to climb on my stomach and rub around. I kept a regular pillow on my stomach all the time when I was laying down, and if she stepped on the pillow, it really didn't hurt.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
I agree with Linda that keeping a pillow on your lap for the first few weeks is a good idea.  This way, he can still be close to you without causing you pain.  Good luck with your surgery. Kasie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.