Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

In need of post laparotomy advice

It has been almost 4 weeks since my surgery.  I feel pretty good.  I have some questions and I hope someone out there has some good advice for me.  Thank goodness for the internet, otherwise I wouldn't know much.  All I was told was no driving for 2 weeks and no sex for 4 weeks.  I have a 6 inch scar, thankfully a "bikini cut".  I had staples, and I would like to know about how long it takes for the marks from the staples and the actual incision to fade.  Can someone recommend a product that could help reduce the appearance of the scar? Also, when can I start to exercise again.  I have some walking tapes that I would like to start doing again, and then I would eventually like to do something high intensity.  How lond should I wait?  Also, any advice regarding weight loss and will I ever be able to shrink my stomach after such a surgery?  Thanks.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had a breast reduction a little over a year ago, and that dr (who is also a plastic surgeon) recommended I get pure Vit. E oil from the health food store, and just use that daily. It worked too.... I only have two small areas where you can see scars, and that's because I think there may still be stitches in there. The other places have faded to thin white lines, and that only took about 6 months.
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
AS for the exercise, that is definitely a call for your doctor to make. One scar fader that is supposed to be excellent is called Mederma. Other folks swear by vitamin E oil. Just ***** a gel capsule of it with a needle and wipe into the scar.
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
You need Linda F for this one what she doesn't know about scar healing aint worth knowing no doubt she will read this and have some fab advice!

Anna x
Helpful - 0
I honestly do not remember when my scar started to fade, but wanted to advise you to wait until your post op and discussion with dr before you begin any exersise program. You want your body to be completely healed. Sorry I could not remember your other questions. Take care. Erika
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.