Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Ovarian dermoid cysts and leaking breast is there a connection?

I was recently diagnosed with severe Fibromyalgia and have had low back pain for 2 years. After being sent for an MRI in low back they discovered that I had a couple of discs protruding as well as a torn disk, incidentally they found that I have bilateral ovarian dermoid cysts (7cm & 3cm).....surprised me! Anyhow, I also have a breast which has leaked for at least 6mths (I know I am falling apart). My question is wether anyone knows of a connection between the leaking breast & the dermoid cysts?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
117289 tn?1391712825
I think that there is.  I too have cystic breasts and have been getting annual mammos since I was 39.  I had two softball sized dermoids removed 12/21/05, also benign.  Of course this is only my opinion, but since the cysts tend to be hormonally induced, it would make sence.....but that is just my thoughts on the subject.  I personnally am pushing for annual transvag. us.  Might as well have it done at the same time you get your yearly mammo.  You are at the radiologist center, why not kill two birds if you know what I am saying.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
140437 tn?1215109742
I had a lump in my breast at the same time as the cyst. That was how the cyst was discovered so I would have to say the chances of them developing independantly are pretty remote. Breast lump was benign btw.

Anna x
Helpful - 0
It is my understanding that this side effect of cysts is not a common one, but that it is possible.  Cysts on the ovaries can affect the production of hormones, which in turn can affect the breasts.  Also, having these cysts can cause the body to produce prolactins, which in turn can affect the breasts.

Please be certain to follow up on this situation with your doctor.  Given the many side effects and symptoms of ovarian cysts, it may well be that removing these cysts will solve some of your health problems.  I had only one large cyst, an endometrioma, and I could discern a noticeable improvement in my well-being once it was removed.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.