Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Low Malignant Potential ????

Hi ladies,  Just got back from my post-op visit, I had my left ovary/tube removed on 6/13 & it came back with LMP and then the dr informed me it was not cancerous after pathology came back NOW i go and he tell me that there are LMP cells found in my abdominal fluid.  I guess when they do a Laprascopy they wash your abdominal walls and apparently found some cells.
My ?? is if I do a TAH what are the side affects of Hormone replacement, the dr stated that there were no side affects since they are just replacing the estrogen BUT what i read on WebMD was that long term use can cause, heart attack, stroke OR breast cancer ?  Can anyone give me any insight ?
I asked what stage these LMP cells are and he stated they arent in any stage and then kept jumping around all the other questions, then stated something about stage 1c, soooo now I'm really, really confused and want a second opionion for sure.
Can anyone suggest anything  ???

Confused and scared
Joan
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
When I had my pathology results the surgeon suggested I have a second opinion.  I readily agreed - the first pathology was LMP borderline - which is hard to diagonose and can be misread.  The second opinion on the pathology - I got a copy of the written report- indicated Stage 1 LMP ovarian cancer.  Stage 1 because it didn't spread anywhere. Although the dr didn't say anything the first pathology report (I made sure I got a copy)indicated the washings, which are regulary done, were negative. Borderline and LMP are the same thing although there are two types of borderline ovarian cancers - one is LMP and the other is MPSC or micropappilary serous cancer.  As Linda mentioned JH does a lot of research on borderline tumors and if you wanted a second opinion on pathology that's the place to go.  (I'm in Canada so didn't go there).

Debbie
Helpful - 0
I may be answering your question with another question but I thought that LMP tumours / cells are the same as borderline cases, can anyone clarify this?
Helpful - 0
I am sorry to hear about your situation.  It sounds like you are on the right track and have answered all your own questions.  Keep reading on hormone replacement therapy and do get that second opinon (third if you feel you need to)!  I am not sure what good effects HRT may have in the treatment of possible cancer, if any, which may be your immediate problem.  Just be sure to inform yourself as well.
Helpful - 0
The best one to answer your questions is a gyn/onc. John's Hopkins in Baltimore are the experts in LMP borderline tumors -- don't be afraid to give them a call.

Linda
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.