Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

New here and scared...

They've found a cyst(10.9cm x 11.5cm) on my left ovary. Also they saw surface tissue going into the cavity so I'm being referred to a gyn. oncologist. My CA-125 test came back today as 55.7. Needless to say I'm a little scared. My appt with the oncologist is this Friday and I'm glad I can get in so fast but it doesn't ease the worries. It all feels like it's moving so fast but yet I understand it needs to.

I don't know if I have cancer yet but the thought of it is so nerve wracking. I am 35 yo and have no children yet. I would love to someday and hope I still will get that chance.

I do not feel my cyst like I did. Before I would lay on my belly and it would feel like a balloon inside. As if I were balancing on one. I don't feel that now so we'll see what the Dr. feels Friday I guess to see if it's possibly shrinking. I can only pray it has.

I'm glad this place exists. I'm hoping to find some support as I take this journey down this frightening road.

Thanks for listening to me.

Dianne
13 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks Alps, Tascha, and Ty. I really do feel better about it now. 24 hours from now I'll be on my way to the Dr's office. You've all helped ease my fears...what angels you all are!

I'll keep you updated as soon as I can tomorrow.

Thanks so much I really appreciate it.

Dianne

Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
Hi there - welcome to the site. I know how scary all this is and how fast everything is moving for you. Going to see a gyne/onc is by far the way to go - I know it sounds so frightening, the word oncologist, but they really would not be able to detect if you have cancer until you have surgery to remove your cyst and your cyst is reviewed by a pathologist. A gyne/onc is the person who is best trained to handle the situation - they can't tell if a cyst is benign or malignant by looking at it on a screen. I'm hopeful you'll be in the lucky 99% club, but should this journey take you in another direction, women like me are here to help - Please ask as many questions as you need to.
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Welcome to the site!  I know this must be a very stressful time for you, but I'm sure you'll be hearing from some more of the women who will have info for you.  Feel free to ask questions.
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
Thanks, Alps and Tascha. I really appreciate your words of hope.

I think what worries me most is the radiologist said it possibly could be non-benign. I always thought that they know what they're looking at. Is it possible they could be wrong?

Good luck on your surgery, alps. I'll be thinking of you and hope all goes well for you. It's a tough road but it's nice to know we're not walking it alone.

Dianne
Helpful - 0
Thanks, Anne for the welcome. :)
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Dianne...
You're quite welcome.  The fact is that nothing is guaranteed to be malignant or benign unless its determined by the pathologist...it needs to be biopsied.  That's not to say that other important details can't be gotten from ultrasounds.  Feel free to ask any questions you can think of here.  I'm sure you'll find the women who regularly post to be very welcoming, informative and patient.  This is the time to ask questions.  Good luck with your visit on Friday.
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Hey there and welcome to the site.  Sounds like you are getting very good medical attention.  Even though 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, it is good to get it check out.  We are here for you any time!  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
The radiologist did the same to me, had me so scared.  However, they really cannot tell and the only way to know for sure is with pathology.  Turns out I had 2 softball sized dermoids (benign).
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
I'm looking at my CA125 test report and right at the bottom it clearly states that " Two or three fold increase over the upper limit may be seen during menses. There is no value above which ovarian cancer is certain. Elevated CA125 occurs in many benign and malignant conditions". There you go! Hope that makes you feel a little better....
Helpful - 0
Hi Dianne,

Don't listen to the radiologist.  Only an oncologist can diagnose you.  My radiologist said not only that I had ovarian cancer, but that it had metastized to my liver, spleen and abdominal wall.  (My oncologist strenuously disagreed with the radiologist's dx)  All a radiologist can tell is if a mass is solid/fluid/or a combo.  He probably sees that it's *possible* that it's not just a cyst, and has recommended a follow up.

Again, I know how stressfull this is.  I was going through this all just two weeks ago, and it's really, really difficult.  Try to take care of yourself over the next two days.  I found a massage really took my anxiety level down.  Also, and I know this will sound ironic, but stay off the internet.  There are so many worst case scenarios out there, and the odds are very much in your favor.

Deep breaths.  Friday is almost here! :)  Keep us posted.  I'll drop a line when my surgery is over.
Helpful - 0
Ty and Tascha, you've both made me feel better. I was told by my gyn after my scans that the cyst was mostly fluid filled. I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'm waiting for my copy of the radiology report. I live about an hour from my dr's office so she mailed it.

I asked my gyn today if the CA-125 could be up because of ovulation and she said no but I've read otherwise. They took the blood test 6 days before my period is due. Could this raise it?

Also with the surface tissue going into the cavity what could that be? Any ideas?

If a cyst shrinks on it's own do you feel it? Why can't I feel that balloon anymore? I haven't had pain in probably 4 weeks now. Only for about a week did it really hurt, the slightest pressure made me wince. I have been tender off and on plus pressure but that's it. Never any doubling over pain. I do hope they run another u/s first to see why I suddenly don't feel it. Could it have moved?

You said to ask questions..hope it wasn't too many.

Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Anything that affects the pelvic area could raise the ca125 levels.  Also, it is possible that the fluid filled cyst ruptured, or leaked a bit and has shrunk in size.  It is still wise to get the tests, but try not to worry.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Hi Dianne,

No need to worry yet, hon!  I am going through almost exactly the same process you're going through.  I'm 30, have a 9cm mass on the left ovary, and my CA-125 is 111.  Saw a gyn/onc last week, and he said he's certain it's not cancerous.  I'm having surgery tomorrow to confirm.

At our age, it's FAR more likely to be a benign cyst than cancer.  And CA-125 is notoriously poor prediction tool for women who are pre-menopausal.

Hang tough till friday.  I know it's a long time in your mind, but it will go quick!  The gyn/onc should be able to give you an idea if he thinks it's cancerous or not on friday.

Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.