Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Done with first round of chemo....yuck!

Sorry I havent had a chance to check back in. Seems like this has all been pushed to go really fast. My port is in since I last posted of getting my diagnoses. and I had my first chemo July 6th. After spending most my time in bed since then due to nausea and fatigue this is the first day I"ve gotten REAL food down and havent had to take a anti nausea med (so far).  thank you for all the nice words you have all written.

Trying to answer some of your questions. I'm in Kansas. I dont know of any gyn/onc around here and am just being treated by my regular gyn and of course, now my oncologist. I was a stage 2 grade 3 ovarian cancer.  Gyn said it was on my right ovary and bladder about the size of a quarter. She said it was easy to get off and there wasnt any studding anywhere else. Pathology report read the wash from my omentum was clear as was my uterus and left ovary. I did have a total hysterectomy but she left my omentum and nodes.

My mom wanted me to check out all the "big hospitals" you hear about for cancer but I'm a stay at home mom to a 3 year old and cant afford to go running across country for treatment somewhere. I want to be close to my family.

I honestly hope I'm doing the best I can. I figured since I caught this so early I wouldnt need a gyn/onc. I hope I"m right. I can sit here and second guess myself all day but I just want to get well so I can raise my son.  This is taking a toll on my marriage as well and that is always hot on my mind.
Anyhow...that is where I am...I go in this week for labs and we will see where the numbers are...Kimberly
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My gyn/onc told me about 8 wks ago when I asked about, that i was not a candidate because my OVCA had spread beyond my perotoneal cavity.
Helpful - 0
At what stage do they determine when to use IP treatment..
Thanks
Helpful - 0
I just finished chemo for stage IIc grade 3 Ovca. The anti-nausea med that worked best for me was Emend. You might want to ask your doc about it. Good luck with the rest of the rounds, you can do it!!
Helpful - 0
I am glad to hear back from you.  We were all worried about you. I am happy to make it thru the 1st round and remember we will be here to support you!!!

Hugs.
Shawn in Texas
Helpful - 0
132752 tn?1273342273
Congratulations on finishing your first round!  You've been in our thoughts and prayers...so good to hear from you.  

I agree with pamnyc.  It's not too late to get a gyn/onc involved with your care.  There might actually be a gyn/onc at your local hospital.  You can start closer to home, doing a search for "cancer centers in or near ______" plug in your town or city.  You can also look up teaching hospitals in your area.  If you still need some help with this, please let us know.  I'm sure there are more than a few women who would be able to help with the search.  Please stay in touch!
peace,
Anne
Helpful - 0
how do you find a gyn/onc???
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
They don't like us to give specific locations about where we are, but if you are within driving distance to Wichita or Kansas City, there are GYN/ONC's there (I just looked them up).  Cancer Treatment Centers of America has a campus in Tulsa, and if you are on the western end of Kansas, there are GYN/ONC's in Denver.  If you'll just google "Gynocological Oncologists in Kansas", you'll get a list.  My surgery was done by a GYN/ONC, but he is two hours from home.  I owul have loved to have gotten my chemo there, as well, but travelling 4 hours on chemo days was too much to bear.  So, I chose to have my chemo here at home with an Oncologist/Hemotologist.  I got the same chemo here that I would have gotten 2 hours away, so I didn't feel it was as imperitive to have a GYN/ONC for that part.  If you find you are not satisfied with the care you are receiving, then it might be worth your while to check it out.  

Glad to hear your first chemo is over and done with.  Gotta love that anti-nausea medication, right??  Best wishes for 5 more smooth treatments.  Let us know how your labs go.  We love to hear about those crashing CA125's!  

Gail :)
Helpful - 0
God Bless you and keep you safe.
Helpful - 0
135691 tn?1271097123
Oh, I sympathize with you! I went through treatment as a single mom to a 3yr old, and it was TOUGH! My boy was so good - unfortunatley he watched alot more TV than I would have liked, but it was winter, so what can you do. I hope your feeling better soon - I promise you'll have some normal days shortly, and you can get outside and enjoy the weather with your little one! Only 5 more left!!!! You can do it!!!
Becky
Helpful - 0
MAY THE LORD TRUELY BLESS YOU WHILE YOUR GOING DOWN THIS ROAD...I PRAY THAT YOU WILL HEAL COMPLETELY UP IN JESUS NAME AND REGAIN ALL YOUR HEALTH.  
IF YOU EVER NEED TO TALK THE GOOD LORD IS ONLY A PRAYER AWAY....AND I'M NOT MUCH BUT, I'VE GOT A SHOULDER AND AN EAR FOR YOU TOO...

MANY
HUGS,

MAMARABBIT02
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.