Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Questions, Questions

If a cyst turns out to be a dermoid is it normal to leave it in? Everything that I've read says that they have to remove the cyst to properly diagnose, is this true? The reason I ask is I finally made my appt and the doctor seemed really nice & she seems like the type of doctor that will not do anything unless necessary; which I like (but then I worry she's to lax). Also she is going off a crappy copy of a sonogram done by my previous idiot doctor. And what is the diff between vaginal sono's (with full bladder & without)? My previous doctor did them himself (without full bladder) and I never did feel comfortable that it was not a licensed tech doing the sono but I insisted that my new doc send me for a proper sono (tomorrow at 1pm). Hope I don't pee on the tech!!! With my kidney disease I find it nearly impossible to drink alot of anything and hold it.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
They cannot diagnose a dermoid without looking at it. They thought I had a dermoid, and it turned out to be a ruptured endometiral cyst. They weren't as concerned early on since it didn't seem to be getting much bigger (found at 3.8cm and grew to 4cm), but we eventually found out that was because it had a leakage and was leaking endo into my abdomen instead of growing in the cyst.
I asked around about removal and insurance, etc, too, and kind of heard that they wouldn't pay for removal if it was under 5cm, but I talked with my gyn about it and she told me that was a load of ****, that as long as the gyn recommended removal that insurance would cover it (or whatever portion your own insurance covers, etc).
So, if it's something you want removed, tell that to your gyn.... Let her know how much pain you're in and that you feel removal would be best for you. They usually agree... :)
Hang in there, and keep us posted!
~Marianne
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the replies you all are so sweet to take the time to help everyone... I don't know what the cysts are only that my first doc said I needed surgery right away to remove & this new doc does not seem concerned but than again she is going by a crappy copy of sono results. Three different times I've had pain so bad (for 7 days or so) that I could not stand straight and I could barely walk. The first time it happened I had fever,chills & extreme pain (even with 80mg of oxycodone). Of course when I went to the er they assumed it was my kidneys (due to PKD) and gave me antibiotics. Maybe every time that happened it was torsion? If it ever happens again I will insist that look at my ovaries & not just my kidneys.
Helpful - 0
Please listen to Gatsby, she is a very wise woman.  Those type of cyst do not resolve on thier own.  Hang in there and know that we are here for you when you need us. Kasie
Helpful - 0
Hi I have  a possible dermatoid and my dr. is taking it out...she said cannot confirm it is dermatoid till takes it out and needs biopsy.mien is a 2.5 cm within a 4 cm mass..she implied it was standard to take it out.My CA125 was normal which is reassuring but not a def sign that it is not cancer sicne the CA125 would nt be elevated in early satge ovarian cancer....my surgery is Aug 15. I would def get a second opinion about it.
Helpful - 0
I too have been diagnosed with a 4.2 cm dermoid (or suspected dermoid).  My gyn does not want to operate as it is under 5 cm. He said the magic number is 5 cm in order to operate. How big is your dermoid?
I am in tremendous pain and am now seeking a second opinion - based on what I've read & how I feel.  If you are not satisfied with the answer your doctor gives you and the explanation as to why it should stay in, you too should seek a 2nd opinion.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
117289 tn?1391712825
Hey there!  Dermoids do not resolve on their own so it is wise to have them removed.  They can also get to a size that becomes painful to you.  Also, you could suffer from torsion...when the ovary twists and the blood supply is cut off.  This is very painful.
~Tascha
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.