Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

motherof2cuteones

My last post cut your name off...so I wanted to add another. I hope you are recovering nicely. I leave for vacation Sat. for a week and that Tues I have surgery. I am not sure how much time I'll get to check the computer. I have to pack 2 toddlers a husband and myself this week! Plus have preadmission testing and get the house and girls ready for daddy day care! As soon as I feel up to it I will check back. I am thinking of you and hope you are doing well. God Bless! Lori
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Lori,

I'm glad to hear that you have so much time to recover (without tending to your children).  That is wonderful!  And I think its great that you will be on vacation before the operation.  That way you can enter into that big change well rested.  I didn't sleep the night before surgery (which wasn't a smart move).

I did get that medicine that is supposed to help keep you from getting nauseous from the anesthetic.  I really think that they gave me too much morphine and oxycontin (sp?) for my weight and size and that is the reason I got so sick.  I have had a morphine drip before in my lifetime and i didn't get sick in the least.  in fact, i really kinda liked it.  For whatever reason - this time i just couldn't stomach ANY NARCOTICS.  But boy am i on the other side now.  I worked all day (and night) yesterday and all day today and I feel fine.  I am a floral designer and I had a wedding this weekend.  I had hired help but I couldn't let go of some of the creative control.  I just feel responsible when a bride is counting on you to deliver.  YOu know?  All of that to say that I'm really doing well.  I do obey the rules about not lifting stuff and i try not to bend over too much.  Believe it or not the thing that wears me out the quickest - is being at home with all the noise and activity.  I have a 3 year old daughter who is very active and bright.  She is constantly going and talking and wanting to engage me in things.  That wears me out faster than ANYTHING ELSE can.  I always feel so tired after being around her for any amount of time.  Isn't that weird?  I would have expected the physical activity to wear me out.  Instead it is the mental activity and the noise.  The noise really drains me.

All of that to say - I'm so jealous of your 5 weeks without kids!  I think that is the wisest decision you could possibly make.  Not to say that you don't love your kids and won't miss them - but it is just very draining (at least for me).

Well, keep me posted on your recovery.

You'll be in my prayers,
Laura
Helpful - 0
Your reply brought us great comfort! You are recovering nicely and we loved seeing the word EASY! LOL! I am sure by the time I check back you'll be even better and they'll really be telling you to slow down. It's all great news. I am so glad.
Tomorrow we leave for the beach for the week. I plan to get as much R&R this week as possible. We have grandparents and some friends going so it shouldn't be too hard. It'll be nice to have the break before. I arranged for the girls to go to a day care full time for 3 weeks during my recovery. My husband took the week of my surgery off and family will help the week after. That's 5 weeks I have covered. Phew! The kids should be nice and tired and just want to sit with mommy at night.
I am going to talk to the anesthesiologist about the getting sick part. The woman at preadmission testing today told me to demand Zofran so it doesn't happen. We'll see. I'll check back once I can get back online.
Keep up the good rest! Lori
Helpful - 0
lori,

Wow.  YOu have A LOT on your plate right now.
I remember feeling like I had to get EVERYTHING under ths sun done before surgery - to make the "down time" afterward more smooth and helpful for everyone.  Good job, little mom, but remember to rest as well BEFORE the surgery.  okay?

I'm home and doing really well.  I have been recovering at my parents' house (aka RESORT) which is only about 25 minutes from my house in town.  My husband and I decided to do it this way so that I will be in a home where someone always is (mom, dad, sisters) until I am feeling strong enough on my own AND it helps b/c that way my children don't have me physically around them without me being able to help them (they seem to struggle with that).  And that way - the babysitters (mother-in-law, close friends) can watch the kids at my house where all their stuff is and I can still rest and sleep without all the noise.   And then my husband brings the kids out to my parents' house for dinner at night and we color and sing and hug.  It has worked out tremendously well - Thanks to ALL the wonderfully generous people in my life.

I have to say that although my surgery went well - I didn't do well with ANY (morphine drip, vikadin, demerol (sp?) of the narcotics they gave me in the hospital.  I threw up the first 48 hours out of surgery (OuCH!!!) and had a major migraine.  I couldn't eat and didnt' talk to a single soul.  I got severely dehydrated and very anemic BUT once I got home - I bounced right back.  My spirits are high and in fact I get scolded quite a lot to slow down and take it easy.  I just have to much energy!  I even had to get a prescription for sleeping pills (from my gyno yesterday) b/c i wasn't sleeping at night.  I slept last night for the FIRST TIME since i have been home!!! It feels great.  

Well, please keep us posted.  I'll stay on the forum and look for your RETURN POST when you are up and running again.  And remember - we all are thinking about you and you will be amazed at how easy the recovery process is.  I was really NOT expecting it to be this easy.

You are in my prayers and thoughts,
laura
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.