Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

venting....

Need to vent!!! Had a ct scan 10 days ago still don't know results! Doc's office made a follow up for NOV 15. Secretary
won't give me any info! so frustrating..I have surgery booked for Nov 28 so this is a pre-op appt i guess and to discuss results. I am keeping my fingers crossed that if they saw some other abnormality(besides my 6.5 cm cyst) they would be telling
me sooner than this!! I had an abdominal and pelvic ct scan.
I'm not really sure what they were looking for (pressumably something else?).Secretary says if something was concerning to Doc she would call me directly but still worried.Can't believe
you can't get any info on your own medical tests! Can't get past the Secretary(Gatekeeper!).
Anyone have any thoughts?
Mary
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You have the RIGHT to have your own paperwork! Actually, I'm asking all the time for the bloodworks, ultras. etc. I'm asking the doctors, and he will asking the nurse to provide, what I need.
Once, I went back to the hospital for documentations. I paid for the copies!
Also, if you need to wait very long:
Two times I was in the ER, and waiting for 6 hours for the doctor, and I was ready to go home. After I made a note to the city hall and for the hospital, and I complained for the system and for the long waiting period. I got respond. People need to speak-up for others, who sick too.
We are not "furnitures" and "numbers", we are sick peoples!
Helpful - 0
Thanks all for your suggestions. Will poss try the going to get the records route.
Mary
Helpful - 0
I am in the UK so not familiar with other health services.  Just wondered if you sent a letter to your doctor explaining your worries and marked it 'Personal and Private' you may bypass the office dragon and get a response. Either way she will have to pass it on to the doc.
Helpful - 0
I am so sorry you are having this problem.  Does your dr have an office manager?  I would tell the dr about your problem as well.  The dr may not know and if the dr does know I would certainly think about finding a more "patient" oriented dr.

Good luck
Helpful - 0
You have a legal right to your own medical records.  After my CT scan I went to the Radiology clinic, and they gave me the report and the actual CT scan to keep!!  

You can have your own records.  They belong to you.
Kathy
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Yes, I am in the states.  I don't know if the same rules apply in Canada.  Becky?  Katie?  Brenda?  Do you all know if you can get your records from the transcription office?  I can't believe that secretary was so rude as to tell you her sister was in pain, and basically just to deal with it!  That is really unprofessional!  Believe me, I am as passive as they come when it comes to making a big scene, but when your health is at stake, you have to look out for yourself.  It doesn't seem as if they are.  I wouldn't consider it going behind her back anyway.  If she says anything snotty about it, all you have to tell her is that you know she is busy with her case load, and you didn't want to continue bothering her for your results.

Maybe some of the Canadian ladies will come by and offer you some other suggestions.  Best of luck to you.  Please let me know what happens.

Gail
Helpful - 0
Hi,
Thanks for replying. i am really in a bind because the Secretary is a -----. There is no nurse in the office to my knowledge. The Doc only seems to be in the office 2 days a week as she has surgery and teaches etc on other days hence the
wait for appts. Unfortunatly(or fortunatly!) she is tops in
the field and so I feel stuck(and lucky) at the same time.
Your comment was interesting Gail re going to the hospital
records dept and asking for a copy. I don't know if they will give them to me...I'm from canada so i don't know if it's different (i presume you're from the states but maybe not!)
here. I suppose it can't hurt.Unfortunatley I feel as though I don't want to ---- off the doc and go behind her back(which is crazy i know but nevertheless the way i feel. CRazy when we are already worried about ourselves to have this burden.
Mary
p.s just an observation but I have been to 2 doc's recently and both secretaries have been offhanded almost(but not quite) rude.
The last one,when i was begging for an earlier appt said that she couldn't do anything and that her sister was in pain too and had to wait!!!!
Helpful - 0
107366 tn?1305680375
COMMUNITY LEADER
Those test results belong to you.  None of this "if something is wrong, we'll call" stuff!!  If you have to drive to his office and make a scene in the waiting room, do it.  The Gatekeeper's answer simply isn't good enough.  I hate that attitude of "it's okay honey, you just sit back and let us do our job."  This is your life and your health.  If you cannot get answers from the doc, call the medical records office.  Since the records belong to you, they cannot refuse to give you a copy.  There may be a fee involved, but you are still entitled.

Gail
Helpful - 0
hi honey I think you need to call the office and ask that the doctor call you back your his patient it his job to put your mind at eaze.
Helpful - 0
Yeah, that sucks.  It's your own results and your life, you would think they would be more sympathetic.  Sometimes it makes you think that no one cares.  I think that if something had been really bad or even different, they would have called you.  Try not to get too upset.  They don't have a nurse at the office you can talk to ?  At my doctors office they have a nurse who is easier to talk with then secretaries.  Anyway, don't worry to much!!  Merytre
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.