Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hyster on 12/13 Need info Please help

After following a septated cyst for 6 months my gy/onc has decided its time since it is not going away.Not getting any bigger just won't go away and I have had post menopause bleeding and other issues the last 3 years.Had a D&C in August for ployps.
She feels like a total hyster is the way to go.That I stand a very good chance of getting unterine cancer.My questions are this.Needless to say I am very scared She told me 4 days in the hospital and then home.Since this is so close to Xmas I am wondering how am I going to feel by then. I have to have done then due to insurance reasons.I don't cook for for xmas and I already brougth and wrapped the gifts. I am moving into a new home Monday after Thanksgiving and will have just 2 weeks to get settled.How bad will the pain be and for how long? Will passing gas and bathroom issue's be a problem.I have one of the best gyn/onc doctors in the tri-state area.i just didn't think it would come to this.After following this site for months I know you sisters will help me out here
Thanks
Linda
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THAT EVERYONE HAS SAID!! I HAD A PARTIAL A YEAR AGO WITH A BIKINI INCISION AND BELIEVE ME.......TAKE WHATEVER HELP YOU CAN GET!!!!!!!! I WAS IN IN HOSPITAL THE TUESDAY BEFORE THANKSGVING AND HAD SURGERY AND WAS THEN DISCHARGED ON THANKSGIVING. THE PILLOW WAS A BIG HELP BUT BELIEVE ME THEY TRY AND GET U OUT OF BED ASAP AFTER SURGERY. I HAD MY SURGERY AT LIKE 3PM ON TUESDAY AND BY 10PM THAT NIGHT THEY HAD ME UP AND MOVING........I WASN'T REALLY HAPPY ABOUT IT THEN BUT I'M GLAD THEY DID IT. I WENT BACK TO WORK AFTER 6 WEEKS BUT AFTER BEING AT WORK REALIZED THAT I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE EXTRA 2 WEEKS. IT'S BEEN A YEAR NOW AND I'M STILL HAVING PAIN WHERE M INCISION IS WHICH MY DR. SAID THAT IT WILL TAKE UP TO A YEAR TO HAVE THE INCISION HEAL. UNFORTUNATELY I STILL HAVE MY OVARIES AND THEY'RE STILL GIVING ME A PROBLEM SO IT LOOKS LIKE SURGERY #2 WILL B COMING UP...........GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
Helpful - 0
Hello. I just had a total hysterectomy last year. I am 57yrs old and it was my first surgery of any real importance. So glad you bought and wrapped all your presents for Christmas. Get anything HEAVY done you have to do before surgery!! After the surgery the first day just pump your pain medicine, and if anyone comes to visit tell them if you are sleeping, pump it for you! You can't overdose on those pumps,they are set not to get more then legally allowed. For the second day take your pain meds when they offer..don't fall behind..I didn't really need much after the 3rd day. Get yourself a small pillow and hold that up against youe stomach when you cough/laugh/walk around.Helps immensely! First couple days you will feel weird,but the pillow helps(my grandkids LOVED to look at my staples..oh which don't hurt coming out by the way..)Buy granny size underpants maybe 2sizes larger then you wear. The loosness is great for awhile!..STRETCH PANTS A MUST TOOO. Once home do ABSOLUTELY NO LIFTING/STRETCHING, ANYTHING for at least 4 months!! My girlfriend did and got many adhesions and had to go back 2yrs later for more surgery to take out adhesions. Let others do it, even if its not done the way you'd do it!  Pamper yourself for 3mos, really..takes walks/read books,decide on how to decorate, but NO bending/lifting for a good 4 months. Everyday will get so much easier quickly and you will get bored, but take my advice and do nothing.You WILL feel it when you overdue it and it hurts you in the longrun internally.Actually, I still feel a "twang" once in awhile if I stretch or lift something too heavy..I'm hoping that isn't adhesions building!!OH ..and going to the bathroom is nothing , was much worse after I had a baby! First couple of weeks plan on staying in bed with good decorating books, or regular books. I caught up on all  the books I wanted to read. Oh, and I use a small step stool with a handle on top to help me turn over and get up out of bed when no one was in the room with me .That was helpful too. Take it slow at first, then stand up completely. Don't do stairs alot either, you'll feel it. I live in a ranch so I was good there. Hope this helps a little. Have fun in your new home, good luck with the surgery & don't push yourself Take advantage of letting people help you!!! Pat
Helpful - 0
I had surgery on a Tuesday and went home Friday, vertical incision (14" long - 36 staples, my tumor was huge!) I had great pain management (fortunately I tolerate pain medication well) and took walks every 3 hours or so - it really helped to get the gas going.
It sounds like you're really organized - good for you! Rely on family and friends to help with cooking etc. Believe it or not showering was the most exhausting activity for me the first few weeks, a nap afterwards helped. Drink tons of water, lots of trips to the bathroom, but I really think it helped me heal quicker.  I was driving two weeks after surgery and back at work part time four weeks after. Take care of yourself,
Erika
Helpful - 0
I think everyone is different. I had a total hyster with the vertical cut and I was in hosp for 5 days...alot of gas pain and couldnt lift or drive for weeks.  Everyone handles pain different. For me I had alot. I wish you well
Helpful - 0
You will find the best information on your surgery at the HysterSisters website.  The site is dedicated to the hysterectomy procedure, with helpful tips and a forum for women to share their concerns and experiences.  Be sure to review the pre- and post- operative checklists for ideas on preparing for your surgery and recovery.
Helpful - 0
I forgot to add - when someone offers help; take it.  And any and all meals were always welcome.  Everyone wants to help; let them.  It will make them AND you feel better!
Helpful - 0
First, congratulations on your new home. You certainly are organized!  But you also have a lot on your plate.  I had a total hysterectomy (abdominal incision) 4 1/2 years ago, and quite honestly it was not as bad as I had anticipated.  I was excercising months before my surgery, so I was in pretty good shape physically, and that helped.  It was in June so I was able to walk outside, which was nice, too.  Try to get up as soon as they allow you to after surgery.  This will help with any gas problems, get your bowels going, etc. I was in the hospital for 4 days; then home. I took lots of "cat naps".  You can drive in 2-3 weeks. Your body will tell you when it needs a rest. You say you have one of the best docs in the tri-state area - that is key!  He/she will guide you in the right direction.  Good luck, God Bless, and enjoy the holidays in your new home.  Keep us posted re: your progress!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.