Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
167998 tn?1208907144

Post op and questions about first period....

Today is the first day of my period after my left ovary was removed.  My flow is light (which is normal) but I feel like I'm cramping more than I did before. Has anyone noticed a change in their cycle after surgery?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi there. I , too, had my left ovary out (last August), still get my periods every month , like clockwork, but , yes, I have def noticed a diference. More cramping, and (ugh-sorry, maybe this is just me) worse PMS, than I have ever had. I just had a follow up doc appt at the beginning of Dec. and my doc says it takes a while for the body to re-adjust. Prior to my surgery, I was very lucky in that I had almost no PMS and very light easy periods. SO maybe thats why I see such a big difference now. Mostly - my skin gets awful, zits that would make a teenager jealous!! Crappy mood. And feeling fat....But nothing too bad, just vanity -stuff. I think that changes are inevitable once a major organ like an ovary is removed, but most likely,with time, everything will "re-adjust". Just remember how good a sign it is to get your period at all!! It means the internal clock is working, even if it makes you feel bad a few days per month....
I'm planning on giving it at least a year, by then I figure I ought to be readjusted. But I am definatley warning those around me to watch their backs till then! :) Certain days per month -they better not mess with me! Good luck to you, and try not to worry too much. All the good stuff in life takes time.....
Helpful - 0
Hi, I started my first period Tuesday after being 4 weeks post op.  I had a little cramping and all the signs were there but my flow, if I can call it that, is more of a spotting, kind of rusty with just a spot of blood.  I keep waiting for a gush but it isn't coming.  I didn't notice too much difference in my moods.  Just after surgery I had some mild breakouts and was more hormonal but I think that was just my body adjusting to not having one ovary.
Helpful - 0
I just had my left ovary and tube removed Nov. 30th.  I have been through alot the past couple months and this was just an added thing.  I'm trying to figure out if my mood swings (sensitivity) is do to hormonal changes from the surgery or if I'm really just over reacting and bitchy.  If it is hormonal how long can I expect to be like this and is there anything (espeically natural) I can take to help with hormonal imbalance?  I don't like the person I am right now maybe I'm just fed up who knows.  Sorry for rambling on.  Thank you.
Helpful - 0
167998 tn?1208907144
I will say the first day I was spotting and cramping really bad. Today (2nd day) my cycle is heavy and I'm clotting.  I was thinking my cycle would  be light and no more clots because I had some fibroids removed. Not so.  

As far as hormones, I had my usual PMS this month, nothing extreme or out of the ordinary. When I first had my ovary removed, I was a bag of emotions and had lots of hot flashes. After about two weeks they both went away.  I hope my PMS doesn't get any worse because over the past couple of months it has been awful.  I don't know of anything natural to help hormones but please let me know if you find something, I'd like to use it while I'm pmsing.
Helpful - 0
Thanks it helps to know what might be somewhat normal.  And yes if I find anything natural I'll be sure to post it.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Ovarian Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn how to spot the warning signs of this “silent killer.”
Diet and digestion have more to do with cancer prevention than you may realize
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.