Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Symptoms, normal results

I am a 35 year old male with many symptoms consistent with hyperthyroidism. I am frustrated with still no diagnosis yet from my physician as labs keep coming back normal. Symptoms are feverish (hot facial feeling), nervousness, anxiety, fatigue, loss of appetite, widespread muscle cramping and parasthesia, and fasciculations, and occasional heart palpitations to name a few. It feels like I am jittery all of the time and my nervous system is amped up. When this first occurred 5 years ago my bloodwork showed my TSH and T4 levels were 2.27 and 1.18 respectively, well within range. I have always thought and still do that this is an endocrine issue, probably thyroid related. Symptoms have gotten better and worse over years and even went 6 months mostly symptom free.  1) How accurate is the test and is it possible to have hyperthyroid with normal TSH & T4 results? 2) Are there any possible differential conditions that could explain these symptoms?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I appear to have a fairly severe anxiety disorder that has been going on for quite some time. I thought I felt so bad because of an underlying illness. My anxiety level is so constantly high that it's peaking out my nervous system and causing pain and fasciculations. The hot flashes were the result of anxiety attacks. I feel so dumb now for not picking up on this earlier, I've had this problem for about 4 1/2 years!

My only concern now is WHY my anxiety level is so high all the time. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow to investigate any hidden endocrine issues. I have a hard to believing I developed such a severe anxiety disorder for no reason, I am not stressed about anything and could care less if the planet explodes into a ball of flames tomorrow. But for some reason when I wake up in the morning I get sudden panic attacks and major adrenaline rush.
Helpful - 0
Have you had any adrenal testing done? Jittery and nervous sound like they could be adrenal-related. Also, did you have thryoid antibodies tested? You could have Hashimoto's disease, which can be characterized by hyper and hypo episodes. If you have antibodies, there is damage being done to your thyroid, no matter what the thyroid labs say.
Helpful - 0
97953 tn?1440865392
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your thyroid tests are perfectly normal. Tough to conclude it's thyroid-related.  Other endo things that cause these symptoms include carcinoid, low potassium, pheochromocytoma and low calcium.  These can be tested with blood and urine evaluations - ask your doctor.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Forum

Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.