Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Should I be concerned?

In the last month or so when I have a bowel movement I experience some sharp pain and usually notice a small amount of dry blood on the toilet paper, there doesn't seem to be an change in the stool colour. Is this something I should be concerned about?
I'd be thankful for any help.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just dealt with these symptoms and had to have surgery to remove an anal fistula.  I would have irritation, burning, itching and a discharge that was acidic in nature.  Bright red blood on the stool and upon wiping after bowel movements.  After going to the doctor, they found I had a small ulcer and fistula. I would go see my doctor right away.
Helpful - 0
if you know its blood (i assume its red) then its prolly something to do with your sphicnter or something...if its black, then thats a different case....where is the pain?
Helpful - 0
You may have hemorroids or a small fissure.  The pressure of the bowel movement will occasionally cause irritation and slight bleeding.  I suggest you get plenty of high fiber into your diet and drink large quantities of water.  There are also several over the counter medications available to use to lessen the itching and shrink the hemorroids.  If the problem persists or becomes more constant, I suggest you consult your doctor.
Helpful - 0
The blood is red, and it's a very, very small amount. The pain seem to mostly right at the entrance. Thanks for your comment
Helpful - 0
Hi, I'd just like to add that I experience no other symptoms except for some occassional irritation and itching.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem