Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Bloody Stool

I am a 35-year old male and I have been getting bloody stools for the last week.  Always seems to be on the surface of the first stool that passes. The first several times I noticed it the stool was hard and hard to pass.  I have been exercising more regularly and have been cutting down food intake a slight bit. Have lost 10 pounds (am 6' 1" and dropped from 212 to about 203 in 3 weeks).  

I noticed it on the toilet paper and have seen blood on the stool (usually in one spot it looks like).  Stool color is not any different or darker than normal.  I do have a history of colon cancer (my grandmother died of that at about 70).  My dad has had many polyps removed and regularly gets checked- all normal so far).

Any suggestions.  I don't feel pain in abdomen or elsewhere.  A side note- I did have an elevated level of billyrubin (sp?) which was about 3x normal in last checkup.  Had a little pain in my left side towards back as well but not lately.  Could there be a connection?

Thanks in advance.
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

I have for the last year had itchy irritation off
and on.I also have a small pain at times on my right
side of rectum,which shoots down my right hip and
leg.I dont know if related,but think they could be.
I have also had bright red blood on toilet paper,but has
only happened once evey four mos.
This all comes and goes.What coul it be?

Helpful - 0
i am a 40 year old mother of two boys, for the past six or so months i am having some rectal bleeding. i had some low back and lower left side pain a couple of months ago in the middle of the night so i went to the emergency room. told them about the pain and the recal bleeding, was checked for blood in the stool and hemmroids both were negative. i am really concerned about this and now i am starting to have pain when i have a b.m. any comments are welcome

tonton is concerned.
Helpful - 0
Sounds like hemmoroids. Their annoying, but nothing to really do about them. Get a stool sample taken just to make sure its not anything serious like an ulcer, which can cause bloody stools, but sounds like just hemmoroids. Try adding fiber to your diet to soften stools and see if that helps
Helpful - 0
Jim, it's probably NOT related to anything serious going on in your colon. However, if it continues you might want to consult with a good gastroenterologist, especially given your family history. In your case it's probably a good idea to be extra vigilant and start having somewhat regular colon checks anyway, BEFORE you have any serious symptoms, because by then it's often too late. Again, it's probably just a broken vessel (hemorrhoid) precipitated by the hard stools, but I would think you wouldn't want to take any chances. Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
over the past few years everytime i restart excercise and reducton in certain foods i have had similar problems-usually subsiding after about five days-one doctor has said that as long as bleeding is fresh, (not in stool) and not in between bowels chances are its a small rip in skin due to sweating and drying or hemerhoids- if it continues, it never hurts to check but so far with all the other gastro/intes/stool tests i've had for other reasons-nothing unusual has shown up-hope this helps-
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem