Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain under right-side of rib cage

I am female, 53 years old, 5 foot tall, 135 lbs.  I had my gallbladder removed 24 years ago, I weighed 110 lbs at the time. For the last 12 years I have had re-occurring pain under the right-side of the lower part of my rib cage that lasts for 2-10 days that is very straining.  Pressure from undergarments is barely tolerable. I have had several different scopes and tests over the the last number of years the last test was in 1994. I am now experiencing another attack.  I take lipitor for cholestral which is well under control. I have recently had blood work completed and level is in good standing with cholestral at 159. When I get these attacks I take Gaviscon to try to reduce the pain. Any insight would be appreciated.  Thank you. This is very uncomfortable.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had my gallbladder removed in Nov. 00 and was still having attacks, I went in for an ERCP and to make a long story short...I ended up on life support for 3 days.  The Dr. cut my bowel on accident.  But because of that injury, my bile duct has norrowed considerably.  I found out that in gallbladder or endoscopic surgeries there has been injury done to the Bile Duct and that it could go into spasms.  I take Buscapan to control these spasms and although it doesn't completely take away the pain but it helps alot.

As long as you are not losing weight and your blood test are good then they really aren't concerned.  My pain is alot of pressure, it kind of feels like my stomach lining is coming away from my skin.  It hurts and lasts for days and days.  But that is just one of the risks when going into surgeries of that sort.  The syptoms will last for the rest of my life my doctor said and I am only 25 so I can expect to be 55 and still having problems.  Try to ask your doctor about bile duct injury and about Buscapan.  I hope that helps...
Helpful - 0
Hi!  I'm sorry you are in so much pain. Many of us have been posting about the pain you describe. You are not alone, if that helps in anyway. And we are all trying to find out why?  There is a post about servere adominal pain that occured a few days ago..Read it and see if you feel the symptoms we describe are like yours. I had to elimate all fatty foods from my diet. I have done so over the last two weeks and it is helping. I've increased my fiber to 30 grams a day and drink only water...It's hard doing this but it beats the pain. I have had many tests and all are negative.. My gastro doc says maybe IBS.....who knows but I'm not giving up trying to find out why or what helps. I , too am in my early fifties and had my gallbladder removed 20 years ago.......Keep posting........Aniee
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem