Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

GI Concerns

I have a friend who has recently told me about some GI symptoms he has been experiencing for about the pat 1.5 years. He's currently 30.
He seems to have sudden, urgent diarrhea immediately following meals, and apparently, the stools are black and don't float.  He also experiences flatulence and stomach bloating, as well as lower ab pain.  Also, prior to an "attack", he also experiences mucuous buildup in his throat and nasal areas, as well as dry mouth.  
I've tried to localize the offending foods, I had originally thought it was dairy, but he takes lactose tablets prior to eating dairy, and it happens while he eats most foods...the only "common denominator" I can figure out might be soy.  
He is willing to go see a doc about this, but I'd like to know waht he can suggest, test wise.  
My biggest question  - does this sound like celiac sprue, or possibly IBD?
Thanks...
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
For the last three days I have been experiencing Black stools.  These stools are firm and I am experiencing no other symptoms.
I have just started taking a medicine called Elavil for leg pain.
I am a diabetic and this is the first time I have ever had this color stool. What should I do for this?  Is a colon check necessary?
Helpful - 0
He's not by chance using alot of pepto bismal is he? that makes the stools black or funny colored and solid black stool may be a sign of some form of bleeding but it usually is not solid black unless he is bleeding alot and then he would be weak and have the shakes and that could all be from an peptic ulcer/esophageal varices or even gastritis. Cancer is a nasty word to use here so I would advise against it before he or simebody else starts having panic attacks worrying about cancer now. Especially at age 30..  most stomach/esphogus/intestinal type cancers start at 50+ and thats still borderline young any younger and its usually hereditary. Does he have trouble swallowing can't have a bowel movement? or never feel hungry or losing a ton of weight? like 15 or 20 lbs in a short period of time? those are symptoms of cancer. Im not a doctor but have had 5 close relatives with stomach/colon/intestinal cancers and they were all in there late 60's early 70's only one had stomach cancer
and he was 75 and it was traced back to being in the air force for 30 years and jet fuel. And 1 last point bleeding from caner usually is not black and is Maroon or red but that can alco mean anything from hemrroids to colon polyps and still that means nothing in 90% of most cases. So have him relax and see a Gastro doc for an upper and lower GI. He may be alergic to some form of wheat or something else also. Good Luck..
Helpful - 0
..........An upper GI endoscopy is recommended to see if there is any damage in the lining of the stomach, it also allows the physician to obtain samples of it to exclude cancer and any other malignacies. A blood test will surely be used to get a cell count to exclude hemorrage, you dont mention any GERD symptoms and or weight loss, particualrly weight loss is a sign for a very serious condition. IBD, quite often creates strictures in any part of the digestive system, therefore, it may be important to also ask for a colonoscopy. I have extensively read that 8 of 10 people with cancer are over 50 years and older, I gave it some thought after I posted my response to your question, your friend is way too young for that, unless, there is family history of this type of condition, clearly ruling out the possibility of this disease. Finally, I strongly recommend that your friend gets a conclusive diagnosis on his condition prior to allow any doctor to prescribe massive antibiotics, if he is sick now, he will be much worse unless again, he gets an unequivocal diagnosis.

Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your advice...I've been concerned that it may be something more serious.    What type of tests should I have him ask for when he sees his doc (he's initially just going to go to a regular FP)
Helpful - 0
...................It sure has all the symptoms of cancer, although, cancer is a continuation of a pre existing condition. If your friend has had these symptoms for at least 5 years it would be a good indicator of a cell changes. I am not sure what exactly you mean by black stools, however, tarrish looking stools are indicators of processed blood, he may have an upper stomach hemorrage. Several tests must be done at the earliest possible. Inflammatory Bowel Disease is associated with Crohn's a potential cancerous condition, and it does in fact, creates diarrhea, weight loss and gerd like symtoms in the early stages as a sign. Get some serious blood work, and an upper GI to find out whats going on with his esophageus asap.

Best of luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem