Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

concerned

I'm a 47 year old male. for the past few months I have had re-occuring bouts of lower right quaudrant pain about 2 to 3 inches to the right of my navel. It then tends to move into the upper right quadrant just under the rib area.
The strange thing is I may experience no pain for 2 or 3 weeks at a time and then all of a sudden it re-appears and may last just as long. Then be gone again.Some days it's there and other days no pain. I run 20 -25 miles a week and the running seems to have any effect.Meaning it doesn't hurt more when I run than when I don't. I had a complete blood work up a few months back and everything was excellent except 2 of my liver enzymes. I was taking Serzone and since have been taken of of it by my doctor and my liver enzymes returned to normal.
I call it pain but it would be better classified as "very" bothersome discomfort .
My Dr. and He has done several exams including a hemacult and also I had a CT scan both showed nothing. He can find nothing in his exams. There is no tenderness, no constipation, diahrea, hearburn or any other symptom. The last bout started about two weeks ago when I had a bout of what seemed as diahrea.Yet only lasted one time and then bowel function was back to normal.
If anyone has had anything similar or any suggestions I am all ears.
Thanks
Runnner

4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You might request a colonoscopy or indoscopy to have a look at the inside.  Things they find there are not always found with a CT.  Or, an upper GI with follow through, and barrium enama. These are less stressfull.  Hope you find what is causing your pain.  It doesn't sound to serious.
Helpful - 0
HAVE YOU BEEN TESTED FOR GALL STONES?
Helpful - 0
I have not been tested for GallStones. I have an appointment coming up within the next couple weeks. I will talk with Dr about colonoscopy.
My concern is my Mother in-Law had colon cancer and had no symptoms except they found blood in her bowels by a hemacult during a physical.I ask my Dr about that since he is also her doctor. She had a polyp become cancerous.She had to have a large area of her colon removed. He doesn't think that(polyps) is my problem.My hemacult was clean.
He as well doesn't think what ever it is is very serious. Yet that doesn't always make you feel better.
I have talked with a lady I work with who has almost exactly the same symptoms I have. She has had every test imaginable and they still don't know what is causing the pain.
My mother 3 years ago had pain in her lower right abdomen. They did scans, colonoscopy, ultra sound, barium enema. even x-rays of hips etc. Found nothing then the pain left about a year ago???
My grandfather had diverticulitis and when He died also colitis. I don't know if these are hereditary or not. I will bring all these facts to my doctors attention. Also found my mother had a polyp removed 10 years ago. Only one and there have been no more after that one.
I am amazed reading many forums post as to how many times people have problems and no answer are found even with all the wonderful diagnostic tools now avaible. I think this being able to share information is a wonderful thing.
I also encourage everyone to know family medical history. After my mother in laws cancer the Dr advised everyone in her family to get tested.She came from a large family and they have found polyps in every one of her family still living. They also encourage all the grandchildren to be tested as well.Have also found polyps in several of them.Especially those over 45.
Thanks
Runnner
Thanks for your help.

Helpful - 0
I used to have that before my appendix was removed.  Have it checked. Barend
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem