Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

chest pain...could it be GERD?help!

I have been having chest pains located in the middle of my chest,like on the sternum.went to er twice thinking it was a heart attack, both time ekg s were normal except for some anxiety.it feels a little tender to the touch if I push on my chest.drs said it was costochondritis an inflamation of the muscles on the chest wall.my question is could it be gerd?i was treated for h.pylri twice in a year and had gastritis for a while.looks like the same symptoms but like i wrote when i touch its tender,sore.if anyone can help me i would really appreciated.ohh dr gave me antiinflamatories for the pain but as you know having had gastritis which i get now often were are not supose to take them.thanks!
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks to both of you. I found a good article on the net about Costrochronditis.  They described me to a tee.  Stress can aggravate this but also a virus, sinus infection can cause this and deep breathingand an injury of sorts. This condition can also cause shortness of breath and poor breathing.  Another symptom I had.  

When I lift my grandaughter I can really feel it. I know it is still lingering. Sitting and hunching over the computer can aggravate this.

The culprit that started this I feel with me is the whooping cough virus I had for 3 months.  I coughed my head off and it turned into pneumonia.  Since I could not breathe, I was taking deep incomplete breaths and this really played havoc on my muscles.  Then the horrid painful catches in my rib cages getting in and out of the car or turning over in bed.  This is all related.

Gees.........I hate to think i have another 6 months or so to go thru this but it is comforting to know "what I have".

God Bless and good Luck To You All.
Helpful - 1
I was told it could be anything that puts strain on that area, whether it be lifting something heavy, turning a steering wheel, or stress - as rucnatab mentioned. I never really found out what caused mine, although I suspect it might have been related to weight lifting, which I've only done moderately. But I disagree that the ONLY way to get rid of it is by skilled relaxation. You just need to rest that area and definitely avoid anything that causes pain or strain on it.
Helpful - 0
Can you tell me what causes Costrochronditis? I also have had mid chest pain since April. Some days it will not leave me. This pain can also migrate to the right and left side of the chest.  

No picnic here.

Thanks.
Helpful - 0
costo is caused by stress,so i was told.when you have a lot of stress it acumulates and your body reacts to it by been on a "fight or flight"mode.you tense up.my case is bracing,which is tension of my muscles involuntarily.that tension overtime makes your muscles sore and with time inflamed and thats when you get the pain.the only way to get rid of it is by doing skilled relaxation,and it could take 6 to 1 year to recover.hope this help.
Helpful - 0
Sorry, didn't really answer your specific question about GERD...from the sound of your symptoms - especially the fact that your chest is tender when pressed - it sounds to me like costo, not GERD. I'd give it some time to heal and maybe go easy on your stomach at the same time, just for your general health.
Helpful - 0
I had costochondritis a couple years ago and your symptoms sound familiar. I stopped the medications because they were messing up my stomach, and eventually the condition resolved on its own. I think the treatment is mainly symptomatic, so it just takes a little time for the costochondritis to go away. It was about six months or so before my pain went away completely, but I had a few mild flare-ups after that. I hope your case turns out to be no worse than mine - it was tolerable.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem