Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

left side abdominal pain

I am a 40 year old female that I would describe as fairly healthy. Lately, I have been experiencing a left sided abdominal pain. It's sort of like having a "stitch" in your side after running, but it just doesn't go away. At times it is more intense than others with occasional bursts of pain that can really catch me off guard.  It seems that when I push in on the painful area it feels better until the pain subsides again. If you were to look at me like a clock with my bellybutton being the center, my pain is about at the 4:30 position and sometimes radiating toward my bellybutton, but mostly localized to the lower left. It's been going on for at least a month but I'm sure less than 3 months. My bowel movements are normal, regular.  I had my left ovary removed about 8 years ago with a nice size little cyst on it and it sort of feels like that same kind of pain. Before having my ovary removed, it did give me trouble with adhesions from my c-sections attaching it to my abdominal wall. This morning I woke up fine but about 20 minutes later I felt like an exeptionally huge gas pain was building but there was no gas...all I could picture was one of those balloons that you twist into different little animals....I'm sure I made a poodle!HA! After laying down for about 30 minutes it went away leaving me with my just my left sided pain. Also, I am starting to feel it while having sex.
     I exercise fairly regularly...but not strenuously. I'm 5'6.5", 119lbs. My only other symptom would be insomnia that has been going on since July...related?
Thanks for your opinions!
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I've had similar symptoms for about 2 weeks now.  I have a small quarter sized lump on the left side of my stomach.  It is uncomfortable especially when I lay down to go to sleep.  Last night I experienced a quick, shot of pain in the same area before I fell asleep.  What is it?
Helpful - 0
Hi, Sounds similar to something I've had for several decades and was diagnosed as a spasm of the sigmoid colon.  It now involves my transverse colon as well.  Very important to eat lots of fruit and vegetables I think.
Helpful - 0
Dunno if it could be insomnia but I have a pain in my abdomen. It's on the left side under the ribcage and it randomly hits me. It's like a surge kinda things, 1 surge every random time from 1-40 seconds. Goes on like this all the time.

Sometimes it hurts pretty bad though and I have to lay down.
I think mine may be a stomach ulcer or something like that because I just ate a spicy curry and my whole stomach is burning, mostly around under my left rib cage.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem