Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

INSOMNIA - PAIN MEDS

I was wondering if anyone has experienced insomnia with Lortab and/or Darvocet.

About two weeks ago my GI prescribed Darvocet for me for pain until I have an ERCP with manomentry (spelling???) done.  I have quite a bit of pain.  I would say that if it doesn't qualify as all the time then at least 95% of the time I have some level of pain.  Of course the range of pain differs, but it is always there.  I explained this to the doctor and he asked how I was managing the pain (I had been in the hospital for six days on morphine for pain about two weeks earlier).  I explained that I was loading up on over-the-counter meds (Advil, Alieve, Motrin, etc. - trying to stay away from Tylenol in case I would have to have blood work done knowing it can interfere with liver results).  He said that he didn't want me taking the over-the-counter meds because of the gastritis I was diagnosed with and because they are "rough on the the kidneys", so he prescribed Darvocet for me to take.  He specified for me to take it when the pain began.  Not to wait until it got really bad.  I IN NO WAY ASKED HIM FOR A PAIN MED OF ANY KIND.

Well, evey time I take a Darvocet I sleep approximate 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours at night.  I am dead tired but cannot sleep.  I take Librax which causes drowziness and Reglan whcih also causes drowziness, but as soon as I take the Darvocet I cannot sleep.  I also had this problem with the Lortab right after I had galbladder surgery - couldn't sleep.  Normally I can drink a Coke, or before I had surgery, coffee, and fall asleep within 2 minutes, not anymore.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Call the pharmacy you got the prescription filled at. I find pharmacists a great source of information..they can tell you "what the book" says and what they hear from customers. I have called before when I questioned side effects.. also..look it up the net...
Helpful - 0
Hi: I can definately identify with what you say about the pain-meds. I do believe that darvocet has caffeine in it, Some of the opiod pain meds do have caffeine.  Are you working right now??
Can you, or do you feel able to sleep during the day??

Like Kimbacat suggested, see if you can speak w/ the dr. directly, he/she should be able to change meds for you.

I hope you feel better or at least get some relief..
Helpful - 0
pain meds can definitely do this.  there are lots of different types of pain meds and it can take several tries before you find one that works well.  some pain meds make me agitated and tense.    

did you actually talk to the doc that is subbing for your gi?  or did you get a msg from a nurse or receptionist?  I would definitely call back and talk to the doc directly to find out what s/he suggests you do until your doc comes back.  if that fails, call your primary care doc and ask him/her for a substitute.
Helpful - 0
I called my GI's office and he is out.  Basically the message I received from them was he won't be back for a week and none of the other doctors in the office are willing to change the med.  I am quite upset. I do have to function and without sleep that is almost as hard as it is with the pain.  I am beginning to get nervous about driving due to sleep deficit.

I have stopped taking the Darvocet and am back to over-the-counter until my doctor returns, but I wanted to know if anyone else had run into this problem with pain meds and insomnia and if so have you found anything that worked for you?

I do have a history of reacting opposite of what the indications are.  Sinus medications if it says non-drowsy knocks me out cold and vice-a-versa.

Thanks for any input.

5FAN

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem