Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Abdominal Pain and more...

I am a 25 year-old male who works in a high stress job and sits a lot during the day. For about two months now I have had dull, achy pain in upper abdomen. I had a cancer scare in Sept. 02 and had to have CT scans of the chest, abdomen, and pelvic areas.  The CT scans came back normal and clear.  The tumor turned out to be a benign hidradenoma.  The abdomen pain started about 3 days before I was to see a surgeon about having the tumor removed.  The pain is usually around the lower right rib cage, but moves to the bottom of the breast-bone and sometimes to the left upper area.  When I am not thinking about it or making an effort to relax the ache goes away.  When I am stressed-out or thinking of it, it reappears.  I have had a BE which came back normal, an ultra-sound which came back normal. I had a prostate exam, urine and blood blood tests, all normal.   About that same time I also had some anal itching start which hasn't really subsided and is at its most annoying right after a movement.  My doctor said I have two anal fissures.  He feels that my body has been under so much stress that it's reacting in this way.  I want to believe him but ever since the cancer scare I have been so hyper-aware of everything my body is doing.  My doctor feels I have IBS.  In the past I have had periods of constipation as well as short periods of diahrea going back 2 years.  He has suggested I change my diet, which I have not done.  I have an appointment to see a psychotherapist in 3 weeks.  I want to believe it is stress.  Should I be pushing my Dr. for more tests?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi, I had something happen to me this past February....maybe you should have this checked just as an fyi, I was sitting in class and just fainted, no warning, nothing. Had several near fainting spells....had to call 911 2x, always felt sick ever since I fainted. I also had this feeling in my upper abdominal area right under where your sternum ends. Well after being told by my former Dr that it was "anxiety/panic disorder" and many tests...even saw a cardiologist due to palpitations/PVC's....well I ended up in the ER one day after feeling like I was going to faint (I am in nursing school at a hospital....how  convienent) so I went over to the ER next door to school and finally, after begging the attending ER Dr to do a ct scan of my abdomen.....and being told that nothing would probably show up, but so I will have "peace of mind" he will order the scan.....well...an egg sized ovarian cyst was foundon my right ovary.........well how about that????? So I was told to f/u with my OB/GYN who did 2 internal  and  external ultrasounds 1 month apart to see ifn anything changed. He saw that I had Hydrosalpinx which is fluid filled and inflamed tubes....was put on antibiotics...didn't work. So I was told surgery was the only way to correct this because it can be a chronic problem. Had surgery on 9/27 this year and the odd and very strange thing is....all my problems just went away after my surgery. I finally feel "normal" again. If I want anymore children, I will have to do invitro..I already have a 13 yr old, so it's not like I never had any.So all my tests done over all those months were showing up as "normal" my bloodwork and everything was always normal  and every other test was as well. I was told that I had so much scar tissue/adhesions that my Dr. said he couldn't even see my organs (repro.) even showed me photos of it and explained them. So just goes to show you things don't always show up on xrays and ct scans and stuff like that...think about it...scar tissue is your skin/tissue so an xray won't pick it up.....makes sense to me.Now I feel great so far, I think I did have anxiety, but , it was because no one was taking me seriously....My former Primary Dr. actually got so annoyed with me that he told me to "stop going to the ER and stop calling the paramedics" isn't that just so caring ? I say a person knows their body , and I am one of those people who are lucky enough to very rarely get sick...no cold in over 3 years so...if I am complaining..there is obviously something very wrong. I even had to take a semester off at school so now I am a year behind...and all because no one was taking me seriously. I was even put on antidepressants way before I even had my operation....I think it was to shut me up and send me on my way.....so be assertive and persistant...now I know you have to be. I thought I had some deadly condition nobody was lookinhg for so it is very scary. You can go to bombobeach.com that is a site about adhesions...I found it by a fluke........great people and stories too....you won't believe how this can affect people..it can be very disabling. Good Luck! Kellie
Helpful - 0
Sorry I didn't mean only women get this........anyone who has had surgery on their abdominal area can get this.........men get it to. It is just scar tissue that affects the way your body functions.
Helpful - 0
YES, YES, YES!!!!! Talk to your doctor. I'm not saying anything is seriously wrong with you, quite the contrary but don't let a doctor intimidate you into not seeking the best treatment. If you don't get satisfaction from your present doctor find one that will. IBS, was told I had that for years. It seems that's the diagnosis they make for a wide range of symptoms. You very well could have IBS but if you have any doubts seek another opinion.

Good luck to you,
Abbey
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem